List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ABBEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1282807

Location

ABBEY HOUSE, ABBEY PRECINCTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityTewkesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 376555

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 ABBEY PRECINCTS 859-1/6/351 Abbey House 04/03/52

GV I

Vicarage, former abbot's lodging or guest house. Medieval, major restructuring early C16, S front refaced late C18, alterations and extensions late C19 and 1966. Timber-frame, coursed and random lias stone, Flemish bond brickwork, tile roof. PLAN: a long 2-storey building in one-room depth, to simple gabled roof; 1-storey framed addition at S end. Central hall, flanked by 2 rooms to E and one to W seems to have had an upper floor from early C16, probably superseding an earlier open hall. EXTERIOR: entrance front, to S, has rubble ground floor with Guiting stone quoins, and brick upper level in 2+5 windows, all 12-pane sashes of late C18, to tumbled brick voussoirs; those at ground floor deeper and brought close to ground level. To left a small gabled dormer at eaves. In bay 2 a 6-panel flush door under plain transom-light in pilaster doorcase to large flat hood on consoles and brackets. To left a low late C19 framed extension, and the return gable with large C17 brick stack in part-framed wall with brick skin. Right return has close-stud framing, brick stack, and some stone and brick walling. Lean-to addition behind N parapet wall. N front, to Abbey Churchyard is in lias stone, in 2 storeys, with irregular fenestration including several 2-light stone mullioned or mullion and transom casements. To left, beyond the medieval fabric, a full-height parapet wall contains 4 small casements and a plank door; the main section has canted stone oriel of period of Abbot Beoly (1509-1531) with transom and cusped lights above plain band with coats of arms and damaged rebus, carried on moulded bracket above uncusped casement. To right is large projecting stack with offset and corbel, cropped above the eaves, and with short section of original bold crenellation. A further small stack rises above the continuous moulded stone eaves course. INTERIOR: former screens passage with stone flag floor and C20 staircase which partly conceals 4-centred arch in N (churchyard) wall, flanked by close-studded framed C16 partitions through full height. To right is 3-bay lofty hall with 4-centred stone fireplace, 2 transverse beams, 6-compartment ceiling, and pair of posts, not built in to wall, on bases and with haunched heads above roll stops; small 2-light stone window to pointed heads at screens end. Chamber adjoining to E has 4-compartment ceiling. All sashes with shutters and linings. Upper hall has been partitioned off to provide corridor, but retains good stone 4-centred arch fireplace, and 6-compartment ceiling to moulded beams, 3 bays with diagonal ribs; at the E end of the corridor a fielded-panel C18 quadrant cupboard. The oriel has original decorative vaulting with 2 pendants; the room now as private chapel. Central roof space in 5 bays, heavy principals with spurs to curved props, and 'king post' stopped to upper collar; mostly early rafters, 2 purlins. Despite modifications, Abbey House retains considerable important early fabric, and has been carefully restored in the late C20.

Listing NGR: SO8900932399

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 89003 32397

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:16:34.