List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1282528

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OldhamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388888

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLDHAM

SD90NE CHURCH STREET, Waterhead 780-1/2/100 (West side) Church of the Holy Trinity

II

Parish church. 1847 by E H Shellard with tower and spire added later. Coursed and squared rubble, with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof with ridge cresting. West tower and spire, nave with 2 aisles, chancel. Early English style. 2 stage west tower with tall lower stage and clasping buttresses. West door with shafts and deep moulding. Triple lancet window above, then a quatrefoil. Paired bell chamber lights in upper stage, corbel table and brooch spire with lucarnes. Long nave of 6 bays with lean-to aisles divided by buttresses. Continuous sill band, and heavy unmoulded blocks between the windows, possibly unfinished corbel heads. Cornice and overhanging eaves. Gabled north porch with shafts to doorway. Trefoiled clerestory windows divided by pilasters. Lower chancel with stepped lancets to east window with continuous hoodmould. Gabled vestry to north of chancel. Interior: nave arcade of 6 bays with clustered banded shafts and roll moulded capitals. Stumpy wall shafts carry cambered truss and collar roof with king posts. Painted ceiling. Single chamfered west door, and paired lancets above, now lighting base of tower. Shafts as responds to chancel arch, with painted text over archway. Chancel refitted 1884: Encaustic tiles, painted panelled ceiling. Wood traceried reredos. Stained glass: all the principal windows carry stained glass: in the south aisle, one by Capronnier dated 1892, and another unsigned but in similar style, 1880. 2 windows by R.B.Edmondson of Manchester, 1880 and 1897. East window of 1871 in medieval style. North aisle windows include one by Mayer and Co. of Munich, dated 1906, 1904 by Reuban Bennet of Manchester, and 1906 by Heaton Butler and Bayne. (Slater: Directory of Oldham: Oldham: 1895-).

Listing NGR: SD9520305999

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Slater - Title: Directory of Oldham - Date: 1895

National Grid Reference: SD 95203 05999

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 04:57:41.