List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

List entry Number: 1282512

Location

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, PRENTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 389296

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ38NW PRENTON LANE, Prenton 789-1/4/240 (South side) 28/03/74 Church of St Stephen

II

Parish Church. Begun 1897. By C.E.Deacon. Completed 1907 by Deacon and Horsburgh. Coursed and squared rubble (brick internally) with red tiled roof. Nave with lean-to aisles with projecting east chapels, chancel. 5-light west window. South aisle with stepped lancet windows in superordinate arches - paired lancets in east and west bays, quadruple lancets in two central bays. Doorway towards west in plain moulded archway. High parapet with plain corbel table and heavy western turret. Triple lancet to east of lower chancel. North aisle similar, but with main doorway towards west, with stepped moulded and chamfered arch in advanced gable with statue in niche over. Interior: exposed brickwork with stone bands. Arcade of 4 bays with square chamfered piers with foliate capitals and plain chamfered arches. Narrower wertern arch. Terracotta hoodmoulds. Arched braced King post roof. Steeply pointed arch to chancel carried on free-standing piers with carved angel capitals. Another similar arch marks sanctuary. Keeled panelled ceiling to chancel. Carved wood pulpit, lectern, choir stalls, altar rails and altar. Reredos with angels playing musical instruments in niches with canopy over. All these furnishings by Deacon. Brick sedilia with terracotta putti. Stained glass: east window as war memorial, 1914-18, Christ in Majesty. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ3080286308

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Hubbard, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Cheshire - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: SJ 30802 86308

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 11:01:04.