List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1282492

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of WolverhamptonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Mar-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 378366

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9496 CHURCH STREET, Bilston 895-1/15/7 (North side) 20/06/52 Church of St Leonard

GV II

Church. 1825-6. By Francis Goodwin; restored, 1882-3, by Ewan Christian. Stucco with parapeted roof. Neo-classical style influenced by Soane. Nave with canted chancel apse and west tower. West facade of 5 bays, end and centre bays breaking forward; top entablature and coped parapet; centre has angle pilasters; round-headed upper windows have archivolts and impost band, small-paned glazing, central window in round-headed recess; central entrance has porch with channelled rustication, angle pilasters and entablature, eared architrave and iron gates; inner angles have cast iron plinths with short columns, possibly for lamps, and lettering: ANNO DOMINI/ 1826/ FRANCIS GOODWIN/ ARCHITECT; paired inner doors; flanking square windows and end entrances in eared architraves; tower has canted angles on base with Greek key and 4 finials; paired fluted pilaster strips to angles and fluted frieze and cornice; round-headed louvred bell openings with clock faces above; top domical vault with enriched wrought iron cresting and weather vane. 6-bay north and south elevations have end bays breaking forward and tall round-headed windows; east end has recessed canted angles and canted apse; east window. INTERIOR: mostly by Christian; shallow segmental vault with Greek relief motifs; galleries to 3 sides with balustraded parapets; east end has Ionic columns flanking apse. Font, 1673, with shallow, fluted bowl; some early C19 wall monuments including Mrs Riley (d.1835) by William Weale, medallion and drapery; Mrs Willim (d.1834), standing figure by altar. (Shell County Guides: Thorold H: Staffordshire: London: 1978-: P.60-61; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.70).

Listing NGR: SO9499296518

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 70
Thorold, H, 'Shell County Guides' in Staffordshire, (1978), 60-61

National Grid Reference: SO 94992 96518

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 09:13:58.