List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GIFFARD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1282478

Location

GIFFARD HOUSE, NORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of WolverhamptonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Mar-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 378504

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198NW NORTH STREET 895-1/11/273 (West side) 16/07/49 Giffard House (Presbytery of Church of SS Peter and Paul (q.v.) (Formerly Listed as: NORTH STREET (West side) Presbytery of Roman Catholic Church of St Peter and St Paul (Giffard House))

GV II*

Shown on O.S. map as Presbytery. Presbytery and chapel, the chapel and rest of west part of building now part of Church of St Peter and St Paul (q.v.), 1727-9. By F.Smith of Warwick for Catholic church, but in name of P.Giffard. Brick with stone dressings; hipped tile roof with flat centre and brick stacks. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys; 5-window range with top cornice and quoins. Windows have brick segmental arches with fielded-panelled keys and horned sashes with moulded frames, of 15 panes to ground floor, 12 panes to 1st floor and 9 panes to 2nd floor; those to centre bay have architraves and keys. Central entrance has architrave, keystone and 6-pane overlight, 4-fielded-panel door with knocker. 2 large stacks; 2 rainwater heads with monogram and date of 1728, and square downspouts. Returns have attached chapels to church (q.v.), with mid C20 housekeeper's cottage to right. INTERIOR has elaborate open string stair with 3 barleysugar column-on-vase balusters to the tread and ramped handrail. The house contains the earliest remaining post-Reformation public urban chapel for Catholics, now forming the sanctuary of the church, and was the home of Bishop John Milner, from 1804 until his death in 1826, an important figure in the Catholic church of the early C19 who had an important role in the passing of the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829; he left money for the building of the church, which became his memorial and burial place. (Shell County Guides: Thorold H: Staffordshire: London: 1978-: P.186; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.319; Rowlands M: Wolverhampton Millenium: The Catholic Aspect: Wolverhampton: 1985-: P.10-12).

Listing NGR: SO9127198898

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Rowlands, M - Title: Wolverhampton Millenium The Catholic Aspect - Date: 1985 - Page References: 10 12
  2. Article  Reference - Author: Thorold, H - Title: Staffordshire - Date: 1978 - Journal Title: Shell County Guides - Page References: 186
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 319

National Grid Reference: SO 91271 98898

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 08:37:45.