List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALLS, GATE PIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS TO MEREFIELD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1281891

Location

WALLS, GATE PIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS TO MEREFIELD HOUSE, EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCrewkerne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Dec-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 390352

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4409 EAST STREET 876-1/7/74 (North side) 12/06/50 Walls, gate piers, gates and railings to Merefield House. (Formerly Listed as: EAST STREET (North side) Gates, railings & walls to grounds, & summerhouse to grounds of Merefield House)

GV II*

Walls, gate piers, gates and railings. Late C17 and c1840. Limestone rubble walls, Ham Hill stone gate piers and plinths, and wrought-iron gates and railings. A full-height gate with elaborate overthrow bearing gilded heraldic arms above a lion face and leaves with florettes, has side-panels supported by gate piers with raised-and-fielded panels, moulded cornices and vases to the caps; there is a similar one to the left, and taller c1840, ones to a carriage entrance to the right. These have recessed panels similar to the aprons below the windows of the house, pineapple finials and C20 double gates. A coursed Ham Hill rubblestone plinth with a moulded coping, supports c1840 spearhead railings which sweep up to the gate piers at the centre. High limestone rubble walls extend approx 30m to each side. The arms on the gates (Merefield quartered with Williams and Colson) date them, acccording to family history, as late C17. (Pullman GPR: The Book of the Axe: Kingsmead Reprints Bath: 1875-1969: P.312).

Listing NGR: ST4428009842

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pulman, G P R - Title: The Book of the Axe - Date: 1969 - Page References: 312

National Grid Reference: ST 44280 09842

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 11:05:51.