List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CITADEL, DISUSED BATTERY APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH EAST SOUTH OF SOUTH ENTRANCE

List entry Number: 1281857

Location

THE CITADEL, DISUSED BATTERY APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH EAST SOUTH OF SOUTH ENTRANCE, GLACIS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DorsetWeymouth and PortlandDistrict AuthorityPortland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-May-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 381952

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTLAND

SY6873 GLACIS, The Verne 969-1/3/170 (West side) The Citadel, disused battery approx 150m SES of South Entrance

GV II

Disused artillery battery. Dated 1892 and 1898. Portland stone, concrete, brick; tunnels roofed in earth and grass. A large artillery complex outside the main confines of the Verne, with 2 single emplacements and a run of 6 linked by three tunnel runs, and based on series of entrenchments c 4.5 m wide; long N/S run c 120m dying out to north, 3 E/W arms, and a projecting curved arm of c 55m running out at S/W limit. Retaining walls to trenches in good ashlar, rough coursed stone, or brick variously, and rising to c 1.6m on average. At E end of northernmost arm, and at extreme of SW arm are single emplacments in concrete and brick, with set of concrete steps giving to trench; series of 6 emplacements to SE with flat concrete top, linked by bridge to ramp, with narrow gauge rails along top and to ramps, also in trench, passing into tunnel entries N and S. The semicircular emplacements all have two concentric rows of hexagonal-headed fixing bolts at base. A cast concrete barrel-vaulted tunnel runs N/S in two sections; that to N has pedimented arched entries set back in raked revetments, all rendered, at each end, with square panel to pediment inscribed VR 1892 over round arch with iron railed openings. Middle section of tunnel has similar entries but to flat parapet over segmental arch, down 8 steps to bricked-up openings, dated VR 1898. Third tunnel runs in an arc W to E, with 1892 pedimented entries as at north end. Near the S end of the main N/S trench are two blockhouses, both to heavy rock-faced stone quoins, and with flat roofs contained with blocking of large Portland slabs over heavy square cornice, all former door or window openings blocked. That to N is in ashlar, and to S is scribed rendering. This was a substantial emplacement, now outside the main body of The Verne fortifications and freely accessible to pedestrians.

Listing NGR: SY6943873259

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 69438 73259

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 11:00:13.