List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALLS AND NORTH EAST BASTION

List entry Number: 1281700

Location

FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALLS AND NORTH EAST BASTION, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWeedon Bec

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360819

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/173 BRIDGE STREET 06-AUG-82 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALLS AN D NORTH EAST BASTION (Formerly listed as: BRIDGE STREET LOWER WEEDON ENCLOSURE WALLS AND BASTIONS)

GV II* Enclosure walls, gates and gatepiers to north-east bastion, for perimeter security of the site. 1804-10. Red brick in Flemish bond, with stone coping to NE bastion. Ten casemates built in groups of four and six along each side of the angle formed by the corner of the perimeter wall, these including a casemate at each end (probably for storage of artillery pieces) that flank a wall that spans the angle and is pierced by a central segmental-arched entrance. Semi-circular vaults to casemates, which are surmounted by bomb-proof layer of sand and gravel capped by a layer of bricks and finally a stone-flag walkway, which is accessed by ramps with stone-paved stairs and runways for the deployment of small artillery pieces (referred to in 1830 Ordnance Return). One loophole enlarged in late C19, this bastion not being as suited for the defence of the Depot on account of its poor field of fire. Pintle hinges and fittings for doors. C20 gates. Approx. 10m of perimeter wall extends to W, that to S extending to the East lodge (qv): this latter section includes a brick-faced concrete pillbox of 1940, with embrasures for machine guns facing into the main site, brick piers to two sets of entrances (that to N inserted for the site railway of 1899). Other late C19 and C20 extensions along the E enclosure wall are not of special interest.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 62927 59648

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:57:23.