List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 17

List entry Number: 1281668

Location

FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUMBER 17, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWeedon Bec

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360832

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/186 BRIDGE STREET 06-AUG-82 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, STOREHOUSE NUM BER 17 (Formerly listed as: BRIDGE STREET LOWER WEEDON STOREHOUSE NUMBER 17)

GV II* Warehouse. 1902. Brick with iron frame, hipped slate roof. 3-storey, 12-window range. Round-arched windows to ground and first floors, segmental-headed to second floor. Brick pilaster strips between bays, rising up to second floor window heads. String course at first floor level and set between pilaster strips, a brick moulded string above each upper floor window. Gable over 2 central bays to south, each with loading entries on first and second floor. 3-bay side elevations. Brick parapet. Interior has heavy iron framework with rivetted iron girders and joists supported by cruciform iron columns. Used as a clothing depot until 1921.

This is the most impressive structure that remains from the additions to the Storehouse Enclosure after the 1870s. It was built in 1902 as a clothing store, the result of the reviews of army logistics after the Boer War which placed importance on the provision of adequate supplies for volunteer forces.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 62491 59565

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 06:13:54.