List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1281660

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityHoldenby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360204

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP66NE HOLDENBY

7/215 Church of All Saints 02/11/54 - II*

Church. C14 and C19. Restored by Sir G.G. Scott 1868. Lias ashlar with plain fishscale tile roof. Aisled nave chancel and west tower. Chancel C19 to the design of Sir Henry Dryden of Canons Ashby is of 3-window range of lancets with gabled buttresses between. Triple lancet east window with lozenge window above. Organ chamber projection on north side of chancel. Ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finial. South aisle probably C14 restored 1868 is of 2-window range of 3-light windows with reticulated tracery with similar east and west windows. C19 gabled porch between windows. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light C14 square-headed windows. North door between windows 2 and 3 from left has pointed arched head. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapet. Nave clerestory wall only partially visible by gabled roof. West tower of 3 stages with clasping buttress at west and angle buttress at junction with nave incorporating remains of gargoyle above first stage. Ground-floor west window of 2 lights with pointed arched head. 2-light bell openings to each face of third stage. Crenellated parapet. Interior: C14 nave arcade of 3 bays with double chamfered arches and octagonal piers the south side having hollow chamfers. Blocked quatrefoil clerestory windows on north wall of nave. Double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel walls painted with C19 motifs, C19 roofs. C14 glazed floor tiles in belfry. C17 painted inscription has strapworth surrounds. Stained glass: west window by Powell, several other windows including the east window contain C19 stained glass. Monuments: Incised alabaster slab to William Holdenby died 1490 and wife at east end of south aisle. C14 grave slab alongside. Piscina with ribbed head in south aisle. C19 misericords in chancel and stall c.1720, French with ribbon work. Chancel and belfry screens and reredos reputed to have formed part of the hall screen to Holdenby Palace C17, has Roman Doric columns, metope frieze with slender columns to sections above dados. The top and middle arch with tapering pilasters flanked by 2 foliage volutes with openwork. The village which was immediately to the south was moved when Holdenby Palace was built. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.260).

Listing NGR: SP6918767599

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 260

National Grid Reference: SP 69187 67599

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 08:27:04.