List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, INNER WEST OF SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZINES IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE

List entry Number: 1281632

Location

FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, INNER WEST OF SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZINES IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWeedon Bec

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360836

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/190 BRIDGE STREET 29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, INNER WEST OF SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZINES IN MAGAZINE E NCLOSURE

GV II* One of four paired magazines built 1807-11 within the Magazine Enclosure at Weedon Bec. Flemish bond brick on rendered plinth with chamfered sandstone top course; dentilled eaves courses to side elevations. Stone-coped gables. Rectangular plan, with two vaulted chambers. Double-gabled elevations to north and south, with segmental arches of gauged brick to doorways in centre of each. Beaded 6-panelled doors where original, doorways to N being widened in late C20. Above each doorway is a ventilator with pulley-operated inner and outer shutters; iron outer and timber inner frames. Doorways in north elevation widened in late C20. Side elevations have perforated wrought-iron plates to ventilators, which are baffled internally. Interior: catenary arches to each chamber, with some arched access doorways between.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. Although the magazines (drawings of 1816 in Royal Engineers Library, W140 (D38), and later plans and drawings also archived there) are smaller in terms of their individual scale than the late 18th century example at Priddy's Hard opposite the naval dock at Portsmouth (listed grade I and like the Weedon examples built to the distinctive British double-vaulted plan), as a group they had no rival until the suite of traversed magazines were built at Bull Point, Plymouth, in the 1850s (Scheduled Ancient Monument). Catenary arches were first used at Tipnor in the 1790s and then Colonel D'Arcy's magazine at Upnor. The use of traverses makes the group highly innovatory in terms of its planning, blast walls of earth (sometimes faced in brick) being henceforth a characteristic features of magazine complexes. These traverses have also uniquely assumed an architectural form.

For full details of the site see description of Storehouse No 2.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 62192 59559

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 01:01:46.