List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FANHAMS HALL WITH BUILDINGS ON COURTVARD (THE BUILDING SOCIETIES STAFF COLLEGE)

List entry Number: 1281155

Location

FANHAMS HALL WITH BUILDINGS ON COURTVARD (THE BUILDING SOCIETIES STAFF COLLEGE), FANHAMS HALL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWareside

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356050

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31NE WARE RURAL FANHAMS HALL ROAD (north side)

2/34 Fanhams Hall with buildings on courtyard (The Building Societies 24.1.67 Staff College) (Formerly listed under General)

GV II*

Country house and outbuildings, now a staff college. Early C18 greatly enlarged and altered in 1898 - 1901 by W Wood Bethell for Richard Benyon Croft. Bought by Westminster BAnk 1950, and Building Societies Association 1971. E wall of 3-storeys brick house of c1715 exposed only in interior courtyard (top floor c1800). 3-windows wide with flat arches and aprons to windows with moulded floor bands. Encased and extended as an irregular 3-storeys Jacobean style mansion, roughcast with stone dressings and mullioned and transomed windows and bays. Steep red tile roofs behind parapet. Projecting double height hall-range on N with long-gallery over. The E entrance front has a 3-storeyed central porch, and is of 8-bays. The W garden front has 3-bays of 3-storeys, and the hall-wing to the left of 2-storeys, 2-bays wide, projecting 5-bays forward. The courtyard facade is of 15 bays and 2-storeys. The courtyard entrance is by a round arch with an ogee hood mould, flanked by twin 2-storey towers with pyramid roofs. Single-storey cottages built on to retaining wall and square towers stand at the angles. Exit from court by archway under clock tower with refaced C18 one and a half storeys Old Coach House attached. Circa 1965 bedroom wing in outer yard (car park) not of special interest. Splendid contemporary interiors in Arts and Crafts style with plasterwork by L A Turner, stained glass by Morris and Co. in Library, oak panelling and beamed ceilings, carved stone chimney pieces, and walnut panelling of lounge inlaid with mother-of-pearl. Fine C18 staircase retained. 2 carved Venetian stone wellheads, one by service door and one to N of main door. (Pevsner (1977) 382: RCHM Typescript: papers at house).

Listing NGR: TL3718615656

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 21 Hertfordshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 382

National Grid Reference: TL 37186 15656

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:45:17.