List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOPTON HOUSE AND ATTACHED FORMER STABLE BLOCK,WALLS AND GATE PIERS

List entry Number: 1281110

Location

CLOPTON HOUSE AND ATTACHED FORMER STABLE BLOCK,WALLS AND GATE PIERS, CLOPTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366208

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP25NW CLOPTON ROAD, Clopton 604-1/2/295 Clopton House and attached former 25/10/51 stable block, walls and gate piers (Formerly Listed as: CLOPTON Clopton House)

II*

Country house and attached coach house, now flats, with walls and piers. c1600 nucleus with north porch and bay window; 1665-70 south and east ranges; north and west wings, mostly c1840 restoration or rebuild; 1843 coachhouse. Brick, at one time painted or stuccoed, with ashlar and stucco dressings; hipped tile roof with brick stacks, including 2 panelled cross-axial stacks. PLAN: quadrangular plan. Restoration style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic; south facade of 7 bays with projecting 3-bay pedimented centre. Stucco plinth and platt band; ashlar quoins and cornice to central brick platt band; top wood modillion cornice and pediment. Entrance has architrave, rusticated flat arch and segmental pediment with the Clopton arms mounted on the crest; paired half-glazed doors. Windows to centre have ashlar surrounds with moulded jambs and 9/6-pane sashes, narrow return windows with similar brick surrounds and 2 windows with 12-pane sashes to tympanum of pediment flanking the arms of Sir Edward Weston (father-in-law to Sir John Clopton); windows to ends have stucco surrounds, formerly brick, and 12-pane sashes, 9/6-pane sashes to 1st floor; 2 gabled C20 dormers with 9-pane windows. Right return similar; 7-bay range; entrance to left of centre has brick and timber porch with embossed lead panels and paired doors with clad with embossed lead and panel over with raised lettering: FHH/ INSTAURAVIT/ 1904. Bowed projection to right end has cornice and C20 pebbledash; windows with bowed 6-pane margin-light sashes. Windows with stucco surrounds and 3 dormers with moulded pediments. North elevation has 2-storey porch with gable to each side, rubble with timber-framed 1st floor, round-headed entrance with panelled pilasters and archivolt with flanking terms, return 2-light windows and 1st-floor cross-casements; polygonal bay window to right end has pilasters, entablature and panelled parapet, 5 single-chamfered cross-mullioned windows; small-paned glazing; other windows with small-paned casements with pointed lights. 2-bay return of east range to left end; right end gable with barge-boards. West elevation has small-paned casements and 12-pane horned sashes; 3 lateral stacks. Courtyard has 2 stair turrets, one with pyramidal roof and one gabled; 2-storey canted bay window to south. INTERIOR: south range has central ground-floor room with c1600 panelling, fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch, and C19 turned piers and overmantel incorporating some C16 elements; window has much early C19 armorial stained glass recording marriages of Clopton, Warde, Hodgson and Walker families; some earlier quarries of flowers etc; plaster ceiling with cornices; floorboards in big square panels; room to right has overmantel pilasters set with majolica. East range has open well stair with panelled pilasters with C20 lamps and turned balusters; moulded plaster ceiling has Clopton arms on displayed-eagle crest in laurel wreath; 1st floor room has late C17 bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail and bolection-moulded fireplace with panelled pilasters; rich plaster entablature with swags. Staircases flanking courtyard, one spiral with some turned balusters, one with splat balusters. Attic room was a chapel, probably originally for C16 recusant Catholics, recorded as having wall painting of biblical texts in heart-shaped frame and late C17 altar rail with heavy turned balusters. Coachhouse has gabled south elevation with 11 round arches, some with door pegs, Warde arms and date: 1843 to gable; attached by short wall to house, and short wall to west has panelled brick gatepier to end, with ashlar cornice and ball finial. West elevation has 2 gabled wings flanking large segmental-headed openings with late C20 glazing, other C20 openings; clock turret with relief enrichment and wind vane. Attached wall to north-west angle ends in gatepier with rampant lion with cartouche. Attached archway to north with range extending to east. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was the home of the Clopton family until the C18; it is believed to have been visited by Shakespeare and is one of several places where he is said to have been married. The house was rented in 1605 by Ambrose Rockwood, one of the Gunpowder Plot conspirators. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 234; Information from Local Authority Conservation Officer).

Listing NGR: SP2005256765

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 234

National Grid Reference: SP 20052 56765

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:23:09.