List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1280622

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, BERRY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213761

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



392/56/149 BERRY STREET 28-JUN-1952 CHURCH OF ST LUKE (Formerly listed as: BERRY STREET CHURCH OF ST LUKE WITH RAILINGS AND PIERS SURROUNDING CHURCH) GV II*

Former Anglican church, approach steps and raised flagged forecourt, now deconsecrated shell. 1811-32. By John Foster, architect of Liverpool, for the Corporation of Liverpool, the design amended and the work completed by John Foster junior. Minor amendments 1864-73 by William and John Audsley of Liverpool, damaged by bombing May 1941. Ashlar sandstone. Perpendicular Gothic style. PLAN: Nave, chancel, and west tower with 3-sided front approach to Berry Street, stepped on a sloping site and terminating at a spacious flagged forecourt. EXTERIOR: Tower has west entrance of 4 orders with ogival hood mould with poppyhead. Flanking porches with 2-light windows, and entrances to north and south. Polygonal buttresses at angles of tower which is of 3 storeys. 2nd stage has 3-light windows and traceried frieze above with clocks to all sides. 3rd stage has 4-light windows and ogival hood moulds; traceried panelling to spandrels and buttresses. Battlemented parapet and 4 flat- topped pinnacles. Nave of 5 bays with windows of 3 lights between panelled buttresses ending in crocketed pinnacles above the battlemented parapet. Chancel of 4 bays and apsidal end. Flanking porches at west end. Windows of 3- lights between panelled buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, panelling above windows. East window of 5 lights. Panelled octagonal finials with flat tops. INTERIOR: The church was severely damaged and its interior destroyed during an air raid in 1941. Internal finishes remain as exposed brick and stone. Brick 4-centred chancel arch. The church retains its bell frame in the tower. Thought to be the first cast-iron bell frame to be made, it is inscribed ' GEORGE GILLEBRAND BELL HANGER 1828'

HISTORY: St Luke's Church was built on a site purchased by the Corporation of Liverpool in 1791, and was planned to serve the new suburbs being developed for the prosperous on the Corporation' Estate. After the commencement of works in 1805, the brief was changed to allow the new building to provide the functions of ceremonial place of worship for the Corporation and fee paying concert hall. The provision of an unusually spacious chancel is thought to have been based on the need the to provide a segregated area of worship for Members of the Corporation. The concert hall function was maintained until the erection of the Philharmonic Hall in Hope Street in the mid-C19. Forms a group with railings, plinth walls, gates, piers and steps surrounding the Church of St. Luke (q.v.)

St. Luke's Church together with the surrounding enclosure walling, railings, steps, piers and gates (q.v.) which define its setting were designed to serve as the church of the Corporation of Liverpool by John Foster of Liverpool and later by his son John Foster junior. Despite severe damage during World War II, the church and its railed enclosure remain an outstandingly rich example of early C19 ecclesiastical Perpendicular Gothic architecture, and an architectural, historical and historic townscape ensemble of monumental significance at the heart of the city of Liverpool.

Listing NGR: SJ3526889870

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 35264 89871

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 10:40:42.