List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BLUECOAT SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1280374

Location

BLUECOAT SCHOOL, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213906

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 38 NE CHURCH ROAD L15

7/281 Bluecoat School 14.3.75 G.V. II*

School. 1903-6. Briggs, Wolstenholme and Thornely. Tower added 1915. Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Main range parallel to street, with other ranges behind. One- storey, 9-bay centre, and recessed and lower 7-bay wings. Entablature and brick parapet. End bays emphasised by quoin strips and segmental open pediments. Round-headed windows have eared architraves and keys with cherubs, and are sashed with glazing bars. End bay windows have triple keys with flanking swags and shields with cherub crests over, flanking wings are similar, central bay of each projects with rounded angles and hipped roof. Windows have tripartite casements with leaded glazing. Central entrance has aedicule with paired Ionic columns and open pediment framing coved recess with channelled rustication, archivolt and cartouche key. Entrance has eared architrave with key, frieze and cornice; arms of Liverpool above. Tower has quoin strips and 4-face clock. Parapet with balustrading to 4 Tuscan aedicules. Swept stone finial and bronze urn. Interior not inspected. Pevsner: "One of the most spectacular half-dozen (buildings) of its date in Lancashire".

Listing NGR: SJ3918988794

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SJ 39189 88794

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:38:09.