List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GUILDHALL

List entry Number: 1279708

Location

GUILDHALL, ALFRED GELDER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Kingston upon HullUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 387426

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSTON UPON HULL TA0928NE ALFRED GELDER STREET (North side) 680-1/22/24 Guildhall 12.11.73

GV II*

Also Known As: GUILDHALL, LOW GATE Guildhall, HANOVER SQUARE

City guildhall, civic offices, and law courts. 1906-1914. By Sir Edwin Cooper of Russell, Cooper & Davis, won in a competition assessed by John Belcher. Built in 2 stages, beginning with the law courts, by Quibell, Son & Green of Hull. Restored 1948 following wartime damage. Reckoned to be a major work of Cooper.Ashlar, rusticated, with granite plinth and slate roofs, with numerous coped stacks. Modillion cornice and balustrade to main elevations. Baroque Revival style, described by Pevsner as a tour de force, which it is, inside and out. Narrow tapering island site, 9 x 33 bays. 2 fronts, the main entrance facing east to Lowgate, the much larger Law Courts front facing south to Alfred Gelder Street. Utilitarian rear elevation to north, facing Hanover Square. The Guildhall is set crosswise at the narrow east end, with a plain block of civic offices between it and the Law Courts. These are set lengthwise covering most of the site.The entrance front has a pedimented central portico with paired columns and 3 windows, set on a basement with 3 doorways and topped with a square clock tower. This has an arcaded bell stage and stone lantern, plus clock made by Cooke& Johnson for the former town hall built in 1865 (restorted by David Stipetic). On each side, symmetrical wings, 3 storeys, 3 windows. Returns have single round-arched windows, the left one under a portico. Basements with 5 windows. Recessed office range, 3 storeys, has 3 windows set in rusticated panels, and a basement with 3 triple windows. Law Courts have a symmetrical front with projecting centre and end bays, the latter topped with massive sculpture groups by A H Hodge. Central entrance bay has a giant arch with paired flanking columns and a hefty sculpture set over the basement door. Flanking ranges, 3 storeys, 15 bays, have giant columns and pedimented lower windows. Basement has 3 round-arched doorways. Attics have box dormers. INTERIOR layout reflects the exterior. Guildhall, 2 storeys, has a spinal corridor flanked by offices, leading to a crosswise passage and stairwell. Elaborate marble double staircase leading to a square reception room and a full-width banqueting hall. The reception room has a coffered ceiling with central skylight. Banqueting hall has half-panelling and a segmental vault with skylight. At each end, a round-arched window. Office block has in the centre the council chamber served by barrel-vaulted corridors and flanked by the civic suite. Council chamber has elaborate coffered dome and cross vaults, and original panelling and fitted furnishings. Civic suite has 2 panelled reception rooms with coffered ceilings, Renaissance Revival style. Law courts have a lengthwise segment-arched tiled lobby serving the Stipendiary Magistrates' Court. This and the former Sessions Court have barrel vaults with domed skylights and their original panelling and furnishings. 4 smaller courts, divided and altered c1960, have similar furnishings. Panelled Magistrates' room similar to the civic suite. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire East Riding: London: 1961-: 272; Bullock F H: Visitors Guide to The Guildhall: Hull: 1954-; Service A: Edwardian Architecture: London: 1977-: 201).



Listing NGR: TA1002928862

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Service, A - Title: Edwardian Architecture a Handbook to Building Design in Britain 1890-1914 - Date: 1977 - Page References: 201
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Bullock, F H - Title: Visitor's Guide to the Guildhall Hull - Date: 1954
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding - Date: 1972 - Page References: 272

National Grid Reference: TA 10029 28862

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:50:55.