List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1279536

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BAMPFYLDE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TorbayUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 03-May-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 390486

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TORQUAY

SX9064 BAMPFYLDE ROAD, Torre 885-1/13/451 (West side) 20/11/52 Parish Church of All Saints (Formerly Listed as: BAMFYLDE ROAD Parish Church of All Saints, Tormohun)

II

Parish church. 1883-9 to the designs of JL Pearson; contractor F.Matthews of Babbacombe; total cost ยป11,000. Local grey limestone brought to course; Bathstone dressings; natural slate roof with crested ridge tiles. Geometric Decorated style. PLAN: Nave; chancel with polygonal apse; lean-to north and south aisles; transepts to west and east; west end northex. EXTERIOR: Polygonal east end, the apse windows 2-light with decorated tracery and divided by polygonal shafts with two 3-light windows to north and south of chancel. East transepts with angle buttresses and 5-light traceried windows. 4-bay buttressed lean-to aisles with 2-light traceried windows. West transepts with 3-light windows with unusual tracery. West end with big 6-light traceried west window and open 3-bay buttressed narthex flanked by large nave buttresses terminating in polygonal turrets with stone spires: the north side turret a belfry. Moulded outer arches to the narthex, which has a timber roof with cusped trusses, pair of moulded inner doorways with 2-leaf boarded, studded doors with ornamental strap hinges. West side walls of west end transepts with 2-light traceried windows. C19 lamp on large wrought-iron bracket fixed to north side. The south side exploits the steep wedge-shaped site with a vestry complex on the south side of the chancel overlooking Mill Lane. INTERIOR: 4-bay arcades with columns with clustered shafts. Alternate bays have stone arches across the nave, which has a keeled open wagon roof. Aisles have quadripartite stone vaulted roofs with ribs. Drum pulpit with carved sides. Fine octagonal marble font, given by the architect (information from the incumbent) with similarities of design to Butterfield's font at All Saints, Babbacombe (qv). Candelabra, said to be of non-English design. C19 floor tiling. Set of Clayton and Bell stained glass. SPECIAL FEATURES: Vestry has engraving of church with intended tower; church formerly had a carillon. HISTORY: Agatha Christie was baptised here. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.848).

Listing NGR: SX9073764341

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 848
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 848

National Grid Reference: SX 90737 64341

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 05:34:19.