List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CHAD

List entry Number: 1279424

Location

CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityFarndon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 403426

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 45 SW FARNDON C.P. CHURCH ROAD

2/28 Church of St. Chad.

1/3/67

- II*

Church: C14 west tower; aisled 5-bay nave of 1660; chancel of 1660; north porch early C18; south transept C19. Coursed red sandstone with grey slate roofs. 3-stage tower has diagonal west buttresses, square east buttresses, square south-east turret; west door, inserted panel-traceried west window, 2-light reticulated bell-openings with a lancet above and a plain crenellated parapet. The aisles have square-headed windows with 4 round-headed lights; clerestorey has 5-light mullioned windows; east window has a curious arrangement of panel tracery; north porch has rusticated front with round-arched classical entrance, probably C18. Interior: Arcades of slim circular columns with plain caps carrying chamfered arches. Aisles under lean-to roofs. South transept is the Barnston chapel, with many C19 memorials and containing C17 glass in east window (Dutch influence) reset in 1894, depicting Richard Grosvenor, Sir William Mainwaring, William Barnston, Sir Francis Gamul, all royalists, and pikemen and trophies of war. Recumbent effigy of knight in north aisle. Late C19 and C20 memorial glass. Tables of benefactors dated 1679 in north aisle and dated 1786 in tower.

Listing NGR: SJ4132354452

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 41323 54452

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 01:10:08.