List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: QUEEN'S HOTEL

List entry Number: 1278862

Location

QUEEN'S HOTEL, 12, SOUTH BRINK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityWisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48455

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH SOUTH BRINK TF 4509 5/246 No. 12 (Queen' s Hotel) GV II*

Early to mid C18 house, now a hotel. Local brown brick; slate roofs with internal facing hips. Gable parapets with end stacks. Three storeys with basement. Parapet with stone coping, cornice, first floor band and plinth. Red brick quoins and window jambs. Six, first floor recessed, six-paned hung sash windows in cambered, gauged brick arches with painted reveals. Six, similar, twelve-paned, first floor and five ground floor windows. Entrance to right; of centre, stone doorcase with Ionic columns, pulvinate frieze. Moulded, round- headed stone architrave with eight-fielded-panelled door and fanlight with interlocking glazing bars. Interior originally very fine but recently altered. Staircase similar in detail to No. 14 North Brink with turned balusters and Vitruvian scroll string, shaped and moulded handrail. Staircase hall with C18 geometric limestone floor with black marble insets; enriched cornice to coffered ceiling. One doorcase remains of original three at landing. Drawing room with roccoco-plastered decoration to coffered ceiling with deep enriched cornice. Three early C19 full height casement windows shaped to round- headed architraves with panelled reveals in south wall. Some original panelled doors and two chimney pieces. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.501. Country Life 'Old Towns Revisted', p.182, 1952. Wisbech Society Annual General Report, 1951.

Listing NGR: TF4588709577

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Wisbech Society Annual Report - Date: 1951 - Journal Title: Wisbech Society Annual Report
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Country Life - Date: 1952 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 182
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1970 - Page References: 501

National Grid Reference: TF 45887 09577

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 07:41:17.