List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE UNION CHURCH GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS TO NORTH OF UNION CHURCH

List entry Number: 1277924

Location

THE UNION CHURCH GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS TO NORTH OF UNION CHURCH, TARRANT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West SussexArunDistrict AuthorityArundel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 430014

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5401 TARRANT STREET (South Side) -------------- The Union Church. Garden walls and piers to north of Union Church. TQ 0107 1/272

II

2. 1836-8 [Tenders invited 18th July 1836. Chapel consecrated 14th 1838]. Architect Robert Abraham of Keppell Street, Russell Square, London. (County Union Archives). Former Congregational Chapel. Knapped and dressed flint, with galleting, on north elevation; Pulborough stone dressings, stringcourses and buttresses. other elevations of knapped flint (no galleting) with red and grey brick dressings, ashlar sills, and ashlar corbels to eaves. Pitched slate roof. 2 storeys and attic. 3 bay north elevation, articulated by buttresses. Planked double door in round arch, with 3/4 colonnettes and cushion capitals. 3 similar windows on 1st floor, and attic louvre framed by continuous roll moulding. Garden on north side flanked by walls of beach flint with red brick dressings and Pulborough stone coping. 2 Pulborough stone piers at north ends with stringcourses ¾ way up, coved cornices, and recessed square panels with plain shields in low relief.

Listing NGR: TQ0177307037

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 01773 07037

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 08:28:35.