List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1277769

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireLichfieldDistrict AuthorityKing's Bromley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 430371

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KING'S BROMLEY C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side) SK 11 NW 7/53 Church of All Saints 27.2.64

GV I

Parish church. Late C11 nave, early C14 chancel and north aisle, C16 west tower, C19 north vestry and organ chamber. Coursed rubble nave with ashlar dressings, otherwise sandstone ashlar; plain tile and lead covered roofs with stone coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel, and north vestry and organ chamber. West tower. 3 stages marked by strings; diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. 4-centred west door with moulded surround, panelled spandrels and hood mould. Directly above is a 4-centred 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and returned hood mould. Rectangular loops with chamfered surrounds to third stage. Pointed 3-light belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery. Nave. South wall retains an C11 loop with rounded head to the south and pilaster buttresses to the east. 2 early C14 south windows; both of 2 lights, one with cusped Y-tracery which may replace a doorway (see straight joints below the jambs), and the other with a single reticulation in the head. Four C15 clerestory windows to the south, each of 3 cinquefoil headed lights with sunken spandrels. Mid-C19 Tudor Gothic porch with crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles; 4-centred entrance flanked by trefoil headed panels. North aisle. High pitched roof. Pointed windows with Y-tracery. Pointed north door with wave-moulded surround and ogee hood, flanked by small buttresses. Chancel. Pointed side windows with Y-tracery, pointed east window with C19 Perpendicular tracery. Interior. Early C14 arcade with pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders and octagonal columns with moulded capitals. C16 tall and pointed tower arch and C14 wide and pointed chancel arch, both of 2 chamfered orders. Nearly flat nave roof with moulded tie beams, ridge piece and rafters, probably C15, restored 1927, Common rafter roof with arch braced collars over the north aisle, possibly C14, but if so it has been interfered with for it now blocks the- clerestory windows. A pointed arch between the north aisle, and vestry and organ chamber partly blocks the east window of the north aisle. This comprised 3-lancet lights beneath a larger pointed arch. Remains of a staircase between north aisle and chancel which led to the rood loft. In the chancel a piscina and a small recess, both early C14, both with trefoiled heads. C19 arch braced collar roof over chancel. Fittings. Octagonal stone font inscribed "WH / SM / 1664"; moulded basin and frieze of shields. Oak pulpit inscribed "EC / RM / 1656" but much restored in the C19, octagonal with door and top panels carved with grapes and vine leaves. Brass eagle Lectern of 1903. Screen probably early C16 with tracery of intertwined brances bearing leaves and human heads. C19 Perpendicular style marble reredos. Stained glass. Chancel north window of 1887 by Morris & Co., depicting St James & St. Paul. C18 glass in the vestry by Francis Eginton. Monuments. Samuel Newton, died 1751 and John Newton, died 1783; a pair of near identical pedimented tablets with urns. Elizabeth Newton, died 1794, sarcophagus. B.o.E. p. 163.

Listing NGR: SK1220617025

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Staffordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 163

National Grid Reference: SK 12208 17025

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 11:09:04.