List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

List entry Number: 1277633

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA, THE TOWN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireCherwellDistrict AuthoritySouth Newington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 430889

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH NEWINGTON THE TOWN SP4033 (North side) 11/274 Church of St. Peter ad Virtcula 08/12/55

GV I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Restored 1595, 1755, 1822-3 and 1892-3. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Lead and Welsh slate roofs. Limestone dressings. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. C12 chancel: North and south windows of 2 lights with quatrefoils in heads. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Pointed arched doorway to south has moulded jambs, hood mould and plank door. Nave: C12, four 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows to north and south. North aisle: C12, two- and 3-light Decorated windows have reticulated tracery. East window transitional from Decorated to Perpendicular. Pointed arched doorway to right has hood mould and label stops. Plank door. South aisle: c.1290-1300. 2 lancets to west end: two- and 3-light windows with Y-tracery, Perpendicular tracery and intersecting tracery. South doorway: c.1300. South porch: C15, wide 4-centred arch with quatrefoils in spandrels. Canopied niche above. Crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. West tower: Early C14. 3 stages. Pointed arched west doorway has hood mould with label stops. Plank door. 2-light windows with Y-tracery. Crenellated parapet. Interior: Chancel has Decorated piscina with ogee head. Nave: 4-bay arcades to north and south. Wider pointed small arched bay to east c.1300. North arcade has 2 plain round Romanesque arches and circular piers with scalloped capitals. Pointed arch to west. South arcade has pointed arches. The 2 west arches have 2 orders of hollow chamfers and a round pier with a moulded capital. The 2 rectangular piers to the east have capitals with nail head decoration. C12 round font has a band of zig-zag decoration. Box pews. C14 glass fragments in chancel windows. C17 achievement of arms in window of south aisle to the Hall family. Wall paintings: noted as the finest group of medieval wall paintings in the County. C14 fragments over chancel arch. North aisle paintings c.1330 (Professor Tristram) in Courtly style, oil on plaster: St. Margaret and the Dragon; St James with kneeling doner; the Martyrdom of St. Thomas-a-Becket; the murder of Thomas of Lancaster. Nave arcades: Late C15 paintings of the Passion series, in primitive archaic style. Monuments: South aisled to Gamvel Hall interred 1639; wall plaque to John Lane, d.1671. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol XI, p,137, Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.771-3).

Listing NGR: SP4074733338

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Tristram, E W - Title: English Wall Painting of the Fourteenth Century - Date: 1954
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1983 - Volume: 11 - Page References: 137
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 771-3

National Grid Reference: SP 40747 33338

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 01:36:24.