List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CRANAGE HALL

List entry Number: 1277460

Location

CRANAGE HALL, BYLEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityCranage

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406872

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 76 NE 4/13 7523 6810

CRANAGE CP Byley Lane Cranage Hall

(Formerly listed as Cranage Hall Hospital) (Formerly listed under Knutsford Road)

II

Formerly a private mansion, offices of a large hospital complex, and now a hotel. 1829 by Lewis Wyatt with addition in 1932 (Pevsner). Red brick with blue brick features and stone dressing, slate roof. Basement and 2 storeys, 8 bays. At the south-west end, there is a porch of four fluted Doric columns and an entablature, with triglyph and guttae frieze, which supports a balcony with openwork balustrade. The porch fronts a pair of oak doors, each with three raised and fielded panels, under a semi-circular head with keystone carved as a face. The opening is flanked by plain pilasters in pairs. Windows are mainly 3-light stone mullion, with half height transoms, containing small sashes or casements. The-centre-and penultimate bays are of yellow sandstone ashlar and north of the centre bays there is a high standing octagonal tower with ogee cap and weather vane. There are flush stone quoins and weathered and moulded first floor and eaves string courses. Overall blue brick diaperwork, in diamond pattern, and solid stone parapet. The garden front (east) is also of 8 bays. Four high standing ashlar stone chimney stacks. Interior: The Library has an oak chimney piece based on four mirrom with bookcase above, which has lead glazed doors. These are flanking slender wood columns and some inlaying. 6-panel oak doors with double width muntins and panelled linings. Enriched plaster ceiling formed into five panels. An east room has a strapwork ceiling, and a deep cornice based on foliage bands separated by a wide cove. There are many 6-panel doors throughout the building. Oak geo- metrical staircase with cut and bracketed string, curtail step, turned balusters and wreathed handrail. There is a second, painted open newel staircase, with cut and bracketed string, curtail steps, turned balusters and ramped handrail.

Listing NGR: SJ7525568004

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 75001 68310

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 04:18:29.