List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET AND MOUNTING BLOCK ATTACHED

List entry Number: 1277450

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET AND MOUNTING BLOCK ATTACHED

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentShepwayDistrict AuthoritySnargate

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 406840

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 967 265 SNARGATE

FAIRFIELD

5/118 Church of St. Thomas a Becket and 9.6.59 Mounting block attached

I

Parish church C15, possibly on earlier foundations with C18 fittings. Reconstructed, and most of timbers renewed, in 1912-13 by W.D. Caroe. Timber framed, clad 1912-13 in chequered red and grey brick with thin tiles to corbels (possibly replacing C18 brick-work). West gable end plain brownish-red brick. Wood shingled bell turret. East end of nave tile-hung above chancel, east end of chancel weatherboarded above wall- plate. Plain tile roofs. Nave, incorporating west bell turret; south porch; small low chancel. Bell turret has pryamidal roof. Nave and chancel roofs gabled, chancel with decorative, possibly medieval, barge- boards. Leaded rectangular casement windows throughout church, except chancel east window which contains small quantity of stained glass; all 1912-13. Boarded outer and inner doors to porch, the former with thin tiles to head of architrave. Chequered red and grey brick mounting block to west end, probably 1912-13. Interior: Nave and chancel separately framed, with evidence for virtually closed close-studded partitions to west truss of chancel and to east truss of nave. Chancel of 2 timber framed bays, nave of 2½, with gunstock- jowled principal posts and some evidence for arch braces to wall-plates; walls otherwise rendered. Cambered arch-braced tie-beams, (those to chancel about 7 feet from ground), braces chamfered, with solid spandrels and continued with chamfered fillets. Similar moulded octagonal crown-posts to central trusses of nave and chancel. Half bay to west end of nave, beneath bell turret, enclosed to north and south with close-studded partitions, each with door to east, leaving central area open to west gable end to contain font. On circular stone base with heptagonal plinth and base. Fittings: Heptagonal ragstone font on circular stone base with heptagonal plinth and base; possibly C15, or possibly 1660s (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980). Altar rails: early C18 balusters with plain handrail; Laudian plan. Text boards to east end bearing Lord's Prayer, Creed and Decalogue. C18 box pews to nave and south side of chancel, with fielded panels except last pew to west on each side which are plainer. C18 3-decker pulpit, said to be the only one surviving in Kent. 9 oval text boards to nave, one dedicatory dated 1804. The church is in an isolated position in the marshes and has no churchyard. Reference to a timber-framed church on the site, in poor condition, 1294 (E. Woodruff, "Some Early Visitation Rolls", Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. XXXII 1917). Referred to by Hasted as built of brick and seeming to be "but of very modern date..." (Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, Vol.VIII, 2nd Edit. 1797-1801, Republished 1972). Photographs in west end of church showing work in progress 1912-13.

Listing NGR: TQ9720525992

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1801)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)
'Archaeologia Cantiana' in Archaeologia Cantiana, , Vol. 32, (1917)

National Grid Reference: TQ 96671 26490

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 11:58:46.