List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UPPER COCKCROFT

List entry Number: 1277194

Location

UPPER COCKCROFT, LONG CAUSEWAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan AuthorityRipponden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jul-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 407284

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 01NW RIPPONDEN (former U.D.) (off) LONG CAUSEWAY, SE 024180 Rishworth

5/73 Upper Cockcroft _ (formedy listed under 15.8.66 Rishworth)

GV II*

House dated 1642 attached to Upper Cockcroft farmhouse,(q.v.). Ashlar, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 3-room through-passage plan with double-pile to rear of parlour and housebody, south front has twin gables to left of projecting 2- storey gabled porch. All are double chamfered mullioned windows with cyma moulded string course over ground floor windows (which have transomes) and hoodmould with decorated label stops over 1st floor windows. 12-light window with 5-light window over to 1st floor. In the valley between gables which are coped with finials, is decorated stone inscribed "(?) BBES 1642". 12-light window with cross-fire-window. let floor has 5-light window-and arched light to left of porch which has rainwater spout to either side. Basket arched doorway with moulded surround, inner door has simple chamfer, 1st floor porch chamber has 5-light ovolo moulded window with columbarium to apex which has finial. Service end has 7-light window with 4-light window over to 1st floor to right of arched light. The rear has 2 gables to rear of double pile with other mullioned windows and finials to apex.

Interior: Former service end is open to through passage which has wide stop chamfered floor joists. Wide segmental arched fireplace with joggled voussoirs has chamfered surround. Housebody has basket-arched fireplace with cyma moulded surround carried on crude columns, a unique feature in this district replacing a firehood (the evidence being the scarf jointed spine-beam). The former parlour has basket arched fireplace with joggled keystone. 1st floor has simple basket- arched fireplace with chamfered surround with fine plaster over mantel with heraldic devices set within 2 arcades initialled and dated "IB 1644". That to the housebody chamber has C18 fireplace with architrave and pulvinated moulded mantel-piece. King-post roof truss with "V" struts has ½ lap joint on principal rafter, possible evidence of reused timber from an earlier cruck-framed building. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London, 1967) p.414.

Listing NGR: SE0239618091

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 414

National Grid Reference: SE 02396 18091

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 03:31:05.