List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

List entry Number: 1277121

Location

CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Bath and North East SomersetUnitary AuthoritySt. Catherine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 407727

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 77 SE ST. CATHERINE'S

2/167 CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

1.2.56 II*

G.V.

Anglican Parish Church. C12, altered and remodelled extensively c. 1490 for Prior Cantlow of Bath; tower and north side of church restored 1704; restored 1846 and decorated 1880 by Powell of London. West tower, nave and south porch, chancel and north vestry. Ashlar and rubble with freestone dressings; stone slate roof with coped raised verges and cross finials. West tower of 2 stages with an embattled parapet and pinnacles; 3-light Perpendicular style openings to the bell chamber with tracery of quatrefoils and circles and setback in a hollow chamfered, plain arch; on the south side is a large sundial and an inscription noting the 1704 restoration. Nave: single cusped light to west of porch and 3-light Perpendicular style window to east, the latter also with cusped heads and under a square hood mould; single and 3-light late C19 Perpendicular style windows on north side; buttresses with off-sets. South porch is projecting and gabled; buttress with off-sets on east side; double chamfered arch. Chancel: 2- and 3-light windows as nave; large 4-light east window as others but with a 4-centred head; south priest's door in a double ogee and hollow moulded surround. The south doorway has a 4-centred head and a double ogee-hollow-ogee moulded surround, hoodmould and stops; studded plank door with strap hinges. Interior. Chamfered tower arch springing from scalloped capitals on a cylindrical corbel. Early English double chamfered chancel arch resting on C19 columns; 2 demi- figures of angels holding shields on chancel arch wall; squint through north pier. The chancel has a barrel roof with plain interspaces and coloured and moulded ribs and bosses. Pulpit is late C15, repainted C19; half octagon with 2 panels of arcading to each side. Font: late C12 on C13; ashlar, square bowl with blank arcade and interlace decoration to upper part, fluting on lower; cylindrical stem. Vicar's pew incorporates C15 bench ends and decoration. Painted and tiled tower and chancel arches are c. 1880 by Powell. Glass: East window, dated 1490 restored 1846; three figures of the Rood and St. Peter; below is an inscription and the arms and kneeling figure of Prior Cantlow; borderwork with crowns and letters of donor's name. South chancel window: three C15 roundels, 2 painted with eagles holding scrolls inscribed with Cantlow's name and central figure of St. Catherine trampling on the Emperor Maxentius. Nave south window has C15 roses and suns. Heraldic glass of 1846 in chancel and nave, to Colonel Strutt. Monuments. Chancel: William Blanchard, died 1631, 2 kneeling figures (he in armour) and 4 kneeling children below, in Corinthian columns and under a broken pediment with arms; William Blanchard, died 1686, inscribed plaque with Tuscan columns and segmental pediment. Nave: Anne Dyer, died 1815, inscribed plaque with urn above. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958 . C. Woodforde, Stained Glass in Somerset, 1946).

Listing NGR: ST7777170250

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Woodforde, C , Stained Glass of Somerset 1250-1830, (1946)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,

National Grid Reference: ST 77770 70249

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 09:24:37.