List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOW HARPERLEY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1276972

Location

LOW HARPERLEY FARMHOUSE, A689

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityWolsingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 408020

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLSINGHAM A689 NZ 13 SW (South side, off) 31/332 Low Harperley Farmhouse 31.1.67 GV II*

Originally known as Harperley Hall. Manor house, now farmhouse. C16 and C17, probably incorporating an earlier building; C18 alterations and additions. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and quoins; stone-flagged roof, partly renewed, with yellow brick chimneys, and red brick external stack on left return gable. H-plan. 2 storeys, 3 wide bays and one-storey, one-bay left extension; rear right extension behind barn on north. Boarded door in irregular- block jambs under elliptical stone lintel in left extension; blocked door at left of central bay. Outer bays project under catslide roofs. Left extension, blank except for door, has 3 irregular rows of throughstones. Stone-mullioned windows have varying numbers of lights with elliptical heads, chamfered reveals and label moulds; right wing has square-headed double-chamfered 2-light casements. Some blocked windows in central bay. Steeply-pitched roof has 4 ridge chimneys, the left an external stack with side arch on stone lower part with offsets. Door has date panel over door incised SC MDC 1765. Rear elevation shows date panel SC 1762 over north extension; arms of Cradock family over central bay. Interior: Left extension contains front passage to store room with fire hood and first-floor gallery. Left wing contains low-segmental-headed stone chimney arch and stop-chamfered beams and joists; oak-boarded screen. Screen passage has shouldered stone arch at rear to central bay; arch opens onto rounded corner, possibly former stair. Many mid-C18 panelled doors; cupboard of C17- style panelling in first-floor central room. Enclosed stair at rear of south wing and at front of right wing. Stone-flagged floors in storage room in left extension and in pantry in central bay.

Source: Conyers Surtees The History of the Parishes of Thornley and Tow Law together with the Lordship of Bradley. 1926, 21-27.

Listing NGR: NZ1196734912

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Conyers Surtees, H - Title: The History of the Parishes of Thornley and Tow Law together with the Lordship of Bradley - Date: 1926 - Page References: 21-27

National Grid Reference: NZ 11967 34912

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 08:47:42.