List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1276622

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireFarehamDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 408897

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



899/5/152 WEST STREET 29-MAR-06 FAREHAM (South side) CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

II* Gothick town church of 1834-7, the N side parallel to the main street through Fareham. First phase attributed by Pevsner to Jacob Owen, chancel rebuilt in 1915; decoration by Dykes Bower. MATERIALS: Cream brick laid Flemish bond; slate roofs; some red brick to chancel on S side marks site of proposed but unbuilt chapel.

EXTERIOR: Chancel, 7-bay nave with W end gallery and N porch; NW tower; NE vestry. Nave with plain parapet, divided into narrow bays by tall buttresses with set-offs. Tall 2-light Gothick transomed windows cusped Y-tracery and brattished transoms. 4-stage embattled tower with angle buttresses with gabled set-offs and narrow N doorway with quadruple chamfers and a Gothick door. Tall, narrow tower windows, the belfry windows paired, clock faces on all 4 faces. Low hipped slate roof to tower. 2-storey porch with double chamfered 4-centred doorway, the parapet raised in the centre for date plaque of 1834. The W end of the nave has a triple window lighting the gallery, a 2-light segmental-headed window below and a cusped roundel in the gable, which has a plain parapet. The S side is linked, via an original stair block to the gallery (matching the N side porch), to a late C20 parish rooms/office complex which is not of special interest. High-set 5-light E window in the rebuilt chancel.

INTERIOR: 7-bay arcades with cast iron quatrefoil section piers with bell capitals supporting depressed segmental arches. Flat aisle and higher nave roofs, panelled between transverse cast iron arches on shafts on moulded corbels, with a cornice of fleurons. The nave roof shafts are a continuation of the pier profile. The spandrels of the nave arches are traceried and there are large decorative ventilator panels in the ceiling. W end gallery with a blind Gothick traceried frontal. The N and S ends of the gallery each break forward into the aisles by one raking bay. Attractive painted decoration of blue, white and gold by Dykes Bower. Simple segmental-headed chancel arch and pretty c.1920s chancel screen with large openings and simplified tracery of naturalistic carved decoration with carved angels in the spandrels. Chancel ceiling of boards on the W/E axis with decorative pierced holes for ventilation and a moulded cornice. The chancel has a triple sedilia with cusped arches and a hoodmould. Victorian nave benches, the ends with chamfered corners, sunk trefoils and convex shoulders. Gallery staircases with stick balusters and ramped handrails. Open-backed gallery benches may be 1830s. Font with octagonal stone bowl with Gothic lettered inscription on octagonal stem.

Numerous wall monuments include Admiral Thompson, d.1799, executed by Flaxman in 1800 including a figure with a sextant; a handsome memorial to Elizabeth Stephens, d.1837, by Flaxman, executed by Thomas Denman, and a graceful tablet to Sophia Dickson, b. 1846, signed by E H Bailey. Heavily-repaired but striking painted glass in the W window (formerly in the E window) by Thomas Jeavons of Windsor, c1770-1790, given to the church in 1835 when it was restored by JA Edwards, who added heraldic and other patterns to the head tracery.

HISTORY: This church is one of the early C19 Commissioners' churches. Jacob Owen was an architect and engineer who transferred from Portsmouth to the Irish Board of Works in 1832. Dykes Bowers who worked on the decorative scheme was a prominent C20 church architect, whose work includes the new high altar of St Paul's Cathedral and works to a large number of parish churches.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: An outstanding example of an 1830s Gothick church with an elegant tower and graceful interior. The rebuilt 1915 chancel is sympathetic to the 1830s work and the decorative scheme by Dykes Bower adds to the delicacy of the interior. The interior has good fittings, including some fine wall monuments of the early C19, and an important painted glass window by Jeavons of Windsor.

SOURCES: Colvin, H., A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, 3rd edn., 1995, 716-717. Jagger, Ian, Changes of Worship as reflected by the Interior of Holy Trinity, Fareham, 1998. Pevsner, Hampshire, 1967, 220-221.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 716-717
Jagger, I, Changes of Worship as reflected by the Interior of Holy Trinity, Fareham, (1998)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 220-221

National Grid Reference: SU 57581 06176

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:16:52.