List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1276278

Location

THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE, SOHO ROAD B21

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BirminghamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 409753

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 08 NW BIRMINGHAM SOHO ROAD B21

6/11A The Red lion Public House

17.1.85 II*

Public house. 1901-2 by James & Lister Lea for the Holt Brewery Company. Brick and terracotta facade; brick to sides and rear. Welsh slate roof. End stacks. PLAN. Long public bar along the road with further bars to right and behind. Spacious staircase hall in right-hand part of the building. EXTERIOR. 3 storeys. Free Renaissance style. Pink terracotta ground floor with entrances at the ends and centre. Shallow canopies carried on human torsoes over the doorways. Windows under shallow 3-centred arches. Upper floors buff terracotta. First floor with 6 traceried windows of different sizes with engaged colonettes and under an elaborate Jacobean-style frieze. Above a polygonal corner tower with attic window and surmounted by a cupola. Two gabled attic windows of different sizes and detail. INTERIOR. Public bar with blue and yellow Minton tiling on walls and panelling ceiling. Exceptionally fine bar back combining mirror-glass and mahogany joinery, enriched with gilded and painted letters. Bar front painted and detailed in Neo-Renaissance style. Fixed seating. Door to smoke room with etched and gilded glass Smoke room with fixed seating. Walls completely tiled with a similar scheme to the public bar but with framed coloured lithographs of girls in pastoral settings. Coffee room with more restrained decoration polished wooden panelling above fixed seats (with bell pushes) and extending to ceiling; framed engravings of dogs and narrative paintings. Oval mirror in over-mantle. Staircase hall entirely tiled with several designs and repeating the colours in the public bar. Ornately detailed newel posts and turned balusters; coloured glass of 1902. A public house of unusual richness and completeness, with interior detailing. comparable to the best surviving examples nationally. SOURCES: A, Crawford, M. Dunn & R Thorne, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939 (Gloucester, 1986), pp. 118-9.



Listing NGR: SP0430489589

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Crawford, A and Dunn, M and Thorne, R - Title: Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939 - Date: 1986 - Page References: 118-119

National Grid Reference: SP 04304 89589

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 08:17:03.