List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1274765

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCucklington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261698

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST72NE CUCKLINGTON CP

5/1 Church of St Lawrence

24.3.61

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and later, with major C19 rebuild by G B Crickmay. Local lias and Cary stone, cut and squared with ashlar dressing; plain clay tiled roof between coped gables with finials, sheet aluminium roof behind parapet to aisles. 4 cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3 bay nave and North South aisles of 2 bays, with organ chamber and tower on South West corner doubling as porch. Chancel mostly C19 in C13 style, with rough plinth, triple lancet East window with vent over and C19 traceried window on South side with blocked simple chamfered pointed arched doorway. Organ chamber has corner and bay buttresses with offsets; 4-centred arched 3-light C16 pattern traceried window in deep recess to East wall and C19 door in North wall. North aisle has a 2-light and a 3-light window, such restored, in C15 style, to North wall, and a 3-light 4-centre arched window with C16 tracery in deep recess to West wall, under a label with square Tudor rose stops. Nave has a double cusped lancet window in the North wall, a window to match that of the North aisle in the West wall; and in the South aisle two 2-light C16 hollow chamfer mullioned windows with 4-centre arched heads to light under flat heads with squared labels, with between them a blocked moulded 4-centre arched doorway. Tower a rebuild of 1705, in 2 stages, with angled corner buttresses on South face less than one stage high, string courses, gargoyles, and battlemented parapet; in South wall a 4-centre arched doorway with double order ovolo mouldings above which is a plaque giving date and details of rebuilding; to stage 2 a clockface below a small 2-light C15 traceried pointed arched window under label, with stone baffles, much eroded; to East side a single and a 2-light C16 flat headed window, both without labels, with similar single-light windows to West face: tower crowned by small timber turret with lead cupola and weathervane probably of 1705. Plain 4-centred arched doorway into nave, probably recut. Inside the chancel mostly C19 character except for East window, with hollow chamfered arch probably C15 into organ chamber, and squint into South aisle; carved oak panel reredos depicting Christ in the Garden dated 1889: triple arcade between nave and South aisle St Barbara's Chapel-centre arch probably C15, smaller flanking arches of C1880, and fragments of C15 stained glass of East window to this aisle, wiith unexplained C15 corbel bracket in wall nearby: nave has C19 chancel arch but arcade into North aisle of C13 style, with no imposts to the columns; the screen between North aisle and organ chamber may incorporate parts of C15 screen. Fittings mostly C19, but font probably of 1705 between Norman style. Memorials include, in organ chamber, large tablet to Dalton Family of Lattiford House (Holton CP QV) who supplied several C18 rectors; also two memorials to Watts family of Shanks House (qv) dated 1729 and 1735 under broken pediment with urns, with family arms, in South aisle; also hatchment board of 1660 in North aisle, list of rectors begins in 1317; little known of general history, except that the church was severely damaged in a storm of 1705, necessitating reroofing and reconstruction of the tower. (N Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; also board in church porc

Listing NGR: ST7552227775

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 75522 27775

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 01:16:03.