List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1274504

Location

65 67 67A, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWare

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Sep-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 412352

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARE TOWN

TL3514SE HIGH STREET 829-1/9/116 (South side) 08/05/50 Nos.65, 67 AND 67A (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET Nos.65 AND 67)

GV II*

2 shops with dwellings above and to the rear incorporating street frontage carriage arch; formerly The Christopher Inn. Late C15 or early C16, altered C17, refronted mid C18 and further altered C19 and C20. Earliest phases timber-framed, with later facing of plum-coloured brickwork laid to Flemish bond, with cherry red dressings, to street frontage, and yellow/grey Gault brick facings (No.65) and stucco (No.67) to rear offshoots. Welsh slate and plain tile roof coverings. Street frontage range with off-centre carriage arch giving access to flanking ranges running at right angles to main range. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys to street, 2 storeys and attics to rear, and two 2 storeyed rear offshoots to east and west of access way to yard. Ownership now divided. South (street) elevation; 8 bays with carriageway forming second and third bays. Moulded timber surround, with early C19 moulded tracery, with small quatrefoil and larger cinquefoil roundels, the latter with blank shields. Framed carriageway doors, one small with 5 recessed raised linenfold panels, one large with 15 similar panels, 6 set in central wicket door. Heads of doors follow arch profile above. Set within carriageway, late C15/early C16 timber arch with moulded reveals and elliptical head, with spandrels with single blind dagger ornament. To left of carriageway (No.65) narrow C19 shopfront with flanking pilasters surmounted by elaborate carved console brackets. Fascia, timber stallriser, narrow plate display window, with moulded mullion and recessed entrance at front. To right of carriageway (No.67) late C19 shopfront panelled pilasters, elaborately carved console brackets containing fascia. Arcaded display windows with side of central canted recessed entrance. Timber stallriser, timber glazing bars with plate glass display windows. Timber fascia with dentil frieze and moulded cornice above. Ground floors of both shops lowered to street level in late C19. Above the carriageway, a moulded plat band, originally continuous across the facade prior to the insertion of the shopfronts. Irregular pattern to first and second floor openings; 8 bay subdivision; bays 1, 3 and 6 with blind recesses, the remaining openings with C19 divided glazing to sash windows having slightly recessed exposed sash boxes. Moulded surrounds under flat rubbed brick arches and with flanking quoins in cherry red brickwork. Pattern repeated at second floor, with smaller, square openings. Plat band with moulded cornice between first and second floors. Rear offshoots to east (No.65) of 2 storeys, C16, altered, stucco faced, with quoins at ends C18 over timber frame above a C20 brick plinth. 3 casement windows, architrave surround to door, and rectangular fanlight between cut brackets to cornice hood. Rear offshoot to west (No.67) of 2 storeys. INTERIOR: ground floor interior of No.65 has diagonally set fireplace with mid C18 bolection moulded surround. Roof of rear outshoot said to contain crown post. Ground floor of No.67 remodelled to form late C19 shop premises: first floor (numbered 67A) with early/mid C18 newel staircase, originally serving ground floor, and with late C17 bobbin pattern balusters together with mid C18 vase pattern balusters. Half-landing to second floor with late C17 panelling. 4 panelled doors with bolection mouldings to first floor. Attics indicate raising to form third storey with C18 refronting in brick. Heavy C17 or earlier timber-framing to west gable wall visible from roof space of No.69 adjoining. Formerly The Christopher Inn, one of the largest of Ware's inns and recorded as existing in 1542. The ground floor shops formed part of Harradences Drapery Department Store from 1775-1871, together with Nos 69 and 71, and No.73 (qv). (Edwards E and Perman D: Ware's Past In Pictures: Ware: 1991-: 87; Hunt EM: The History of Ware: Hertford: 1986-1946: 98; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N (rev. Cherry B): Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 379; Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 229; Perman D: Ware UD. List of buildings of special arch or historic interest: 1993-: 33; Ware 25" to 1 Mile. Surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department: 1851-; The Victoria History of the County of Hertford: London: 1912-: 381; Forrester H: Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 34, 38-9; 1890-1895; East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions: Andrews RT: Ancient Buildings at Ware: Hertford: 1901-: 270-2).

Listing NGR: TL3573314309

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 381
Edwards, , Perman, , Wares Past in Pictures, (1991), 87
Forrester, H , Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware, (1964), 38-9
Forrester, H , Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware, (1964), 34
Hunt, E M, The History of Ware 1986-1946, (1986), 98
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 379
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, (1901), 270-2
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 35733 14309

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 12:06:03.