List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1274277

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityNorth Cheriton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 415744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST62NE NORTH CHERITON CP

3/76 Church of St. John the Baptist

24.3.61

GV II*

Parish church. C14 origins, largely rebuilt in 1878. Local stone cut and squared with Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables with finials. 3-cell plan of 2-bay Chancel and 3-bay Nave and North Aisle, with North East organ chamber/ vestry, South Porch and West Tower. Chancel has diagonal corner buttresses with offsets; East window of 3-lights with C15 tracery, set in hollowed recess, with pointed square stopped label; in South wall two 3-light ogee traceried flat headed windows. East window of organ chamber matches that to chancel; in North wall a small arched double door and nearby two C18 memorials set into wall. The nave has similar windows to those of chancel South wall, but not set in hollowed recesses; between them the South porch with plain moulded pointed outer arch and cambered arch inside. North aisle has two 3-light cambered arched windows with C19 tracery, and a matching window in the West wall. The tower in two stages of which at least the lower is of C15 or earlier; diagonal corner buttresses with offsets to full height; string courses, the upper with gargoyles, and crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles; stepped pitched roof stair turret on North East corner : stage 1 plain except for 2 small single-light cusped-head windows in the West wall; similar window in West wall stage 2, but C15 style 2-light windows in deep hollowed recesses to North and East walls, and a plainer 2-light window without recess or label on South side. Inside, the wide, pointed chancel arch may be C15, with a squint on the South side, otherwise the chancel is totally C19, with boarded barrel vault ceiling and tooled ashlar walls. Nave arcade in a fussy C16 style detail; the nave and aisle otherwise totally C19. The chancel screen incorporates part of a screen formerly in Pilton Church (possibly 1498-1508); timber panelled pulpit with top frieze of vine foliage dated 1633; font a plain tub, possibly C12, with Jacobean cover; some C20 stained glass in Aisle and nave windows, including South East window of 1959/61 by Easton. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6872625826

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 68726 25826

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:57:37.