List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1273838

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, RECTORY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityDonington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 416983

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 80 SW DONINGTON C.P. RECTORY ROAD (east side) 6/75 Church of St. Cuthbert -

G.V. II*

Parish church. Early C14 chancel, nave c.1635; west tower (on site of C15 tower), north aisle and south porch added by John Norton in the restoration of 1879-80. Red sandstone ashlar (coursed rubble to chancel), plain tiled roofs. Tower, 3 stages, plinth with diagonal buttresses, hexagonal stair turret in angle to north aisle, lancets on ground and first floor stages, cusped 2 light Decorated style windows under hood- moulds to belfry; embattled parapet with 4 winged gargoyles, quatrefoil frieze below, brass weathercock. Nave, plinth and buttresses, 3 elementary 2-light Perpendicular windows under hoodmoulds probably of c.1630-40; pointed south doorway and porch, timber with bargeboards on sandstone walls,1879-80; at the east end are the foundations of what was probably a small transept, taken down when the nave was rebuilt in 1635. North aisle, steeply pitched roof, 4 paired lancets to north wall and single lancets to east and west. Chancel, stepped chamfered plinth and angle buttresses to east wall; intersecting tracery to east window (c.1300), other windows also contemporary, 2 cusped lights with spherical triangles above, all have hoodmoulds of scroll type with crudely carved faces as label stops, the west window in the south wall also has a transom and low-side window beneath (see the partly restored stone work for securing the bolt of the shutter inside); priest's door, double chamfered pointed arch, again with hoodmould and crudely carved faces as label stops. A stone bowl (possibly a medieval font) with carved leaf decoration is situated by the buttress at the east end of the nave. Interior. North aisle arcade of 4 bays, octagonal capitals with heads in the spandrels, paired lancets in the north wall with detached columns in imitation of Early English style. Pointed tower arch c.1880; magnificent double hammer beam roof with wind braces and grotesque heads to the highly decorated carved wall post brackets, inscription on tie beam at west end "Thomas Brigg, Carpenter 1635". Chancel arch with stiff leaf foliage carving on the capitals, 1879, low stone screen with cast iron rail, 1897; the trussed rafter roof to the chancel is probably medieval; restored early C14 piscina with credence shelf, aumbry on north side has C19 brass hinged wooden door; stained glass in east window 1885; fragments of medieval (C15?) glass in east window of north wall and, in the window to the west, the fine C14 glass includes figures of the Virgin and Christ, probably from a Coronation of the Virgin, also armorial shields. Font, pulpit and all the fittings are late C19 except the Perpendicular bench ends in the north aisle; a board (set up in 1746) recording the parish charities hangs on the north aisle wall and over the tower arch are the Royal Coat of Arms (George III). Monuments. Brass plate on south chancel wall to John Chapman (died 1607); alabaster cartouche commemorating Edmund and Richard Waring (latter died 1676) and a polished stone slab to 2 infant daughters (died 1650 and 1653) of Ferrers Fowke of Brewood on the west wall of the nave. Probably.founded between 1085 and 1094 by Roger de Montgomery, the advowson of the church belonged to Shrewsbury Abbey until the Dissolution. Pevsner, B.O.E. p.12'2; Cranage VQI,I, pp.20-21.

Listing NGR: SJ8088304654

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 80883 04654

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 04:46:37.