List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1273575

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWroxeter and Uppington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 417398

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 50 NE UPPINGTON C.P. UPPINGTON

6/84 Church of the Holy 13.6.58 Trinity

GV II*

Parish church. Late C11 or C12, restored and partly rebuilt in 1885 by J.P. Pritchard of Darlington at the expense of the fourth Duke of Cleveland. C12-dressed red and grey sandstone, C19 grey sandstone ashlar; plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south vestry and organ chamber, and west tower; C19 work is in a late C14 Gothic style. Tower: 1885. 3 stages; semi-octagonal stair turret to north-east with chamfered rectangular openings, diagonal buttresses, high moulded plinth, chamfered set-backs, moulded string to coped battlemented parapet, and weathervane. Louvred 2-light belfry openings with panelled tracery, moulded reveals, and hoodmoulds with carved stops; diamond-leaded overlight windows to second stage with trefoil heads and hood- mould with carved stops; possibly re-set C15 west window with 3 quatrefoil- headed lights, panelled tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. Nave: C12, extended to west and eaves raised in 1885. Moulded corbels, coped parapeted gable ends with cross at apex to east, and C19 stack to north-east with square base, octagonal shaft, and moulded cap. South side: 2 square-headed windows to right, each with 3 trefoil-headed lights, moulded reveals, and returned hoodmould with carved stops, right- hand one late C14 and left-hand one C19. Round-arched C19 south doorway to left with C19 boarded door; C17 porch restored in circa 1885 with plinth, moulded corbels, parapeted gable, moulded imposts to round arch with "F B:W/ 1678" in central voussoir, two C19 boarded doors, and 3-light double-chamfered mullion C19 side windows. North side: C12 round-arched window to left and C19 square-headed window to right with 3 trefoil-headed lights, moulded reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops; central doorway with late C11 carved tympanum depicting a dragon, and C19 boarded door. Chancel: C12, eaves raised and north and east walls rebuilt in 1885 (see straight joint). Moulded corbels, coped parapeted gable end to east with cross at apex. South side: C12 round-arched window to right and C19 square-headed window to left with 3 trefoil-headed lights, moulded reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops; east window with 3 cinquefoil-headed lights, panelled tracery, moulded reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops. Vestry and organ chamber: lean-to to north with moulded corbels and coped parapeted verges; boarded door to north, lancet to east, and steps down to basement door to west. Interior: C19 six-bay nave roof and 2-bay chancel roofs consisting of shaped brackets with carved angels and shields, arch-braced collars with billet decorations to upper edge, pairs of moulded purlins, pierced ashlar frieze with billet decoration; moulded C19 tower arch with imposts; restored C12 chancel arch with carved imposts and hoodmould; C19 moulded arch to north organ chamber with hoodmould and carved stops; C19 moulded- arched north doorway to vestry with boarded door and hoodmould with carved stops; east window with wave-moulded rear arch and reveals. Mainly circa 1885 fittings include: wooden reredos with traceried panels; moulded wooden communion rail with decorative wrought iron supports; aumbry in south wall has C17 door with pierced tracery and lozenge decoration; octagonal wooden pulpit with traceried panels; octagonal stone font with trefoil-headed panelled stems and quatrefoil-panelled bowl; C18 painted royal coat-of-arms above tower arch. There is reported to be a brass in the chancel to "John Stainier Gent Steward to ye Right Honoble Francis Earle of Bradford", who died in 1691, and other members of the family, but it was not located at time of resurvey. There is a series of C18 and early C19 memorial tables. Uppington was founded as a chapelry of Wroxeter (q.v.). The 1885 restoration has also been attributed to S. Pountney Smith (B.o.E.). Mid-C19 font formerly in the church is said to have been removed to the Church of St John the Baptist, Stapleton, Condover C.P. (q.v.) in late C19. B.o.E., p.306; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Vol.7 (1905), Pp.625-6.



Listing NGR: SJ5973709368

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 625-6

National Grid Reference: SJ 59737 09368

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 05:44:24.