List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LEASOWE CASTLE

List entry Number: 1273527

Location

LEASOWE CASTLE, LEASOWE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 444446

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 29 SE WALLASEY LEASOWE ROAD (north side

2/46 Leasowe Castle 20.5.52 - II*

House, now hotel and conference centre. Octagonal tower, 1593, for Ferdinando Earl of Derby, 2 turrets added early C17. Altered and extended 1818 by J. Foster Jun. Later extensions mid C19. Stone with slate roofs, wings to north and west are timber framed, that to north with brick ground floor. L-plan, central 3-storey tower has turrets to south and west, south east entrance front, and 2 wings. Entrance front has central 4-storey centre and flanking 3-storey projecting canted bays, top cornice and embattled parapet. Windows have label moulds and most are sashed with glazing bars, some with pointed upper panes or mullions and transoms. Central porch has entrance with 4-centred head, traceried spandrels and label mould; parapet has recumbent lion. Original tower visible from south west. Extra storey added c.1818 has deep corbels to roof on 2 sides; 2-light window with shouldered lintels. Turrets have 3 coped gables with ball finials. 2-light double-chamfered-mullioned windows. Later wing has timber-framed 1st floor with end canted stone turret. North wing of 9 bays and 3 storeys, 2 brick bay windows of 2 storeys and raking dormers. Interior: Entrance has stair with iron balusters recording names of British battles. Original tower has room, formerly cellar, with entrances and recesses, some with Tudor heads; original 1st floor entrance, now within turret, has lintel with legs of Man (the Earls of Derby were Kings of Man). Spiral stair in one turret leads to 2nd floor room with C17 fielded panelling and 4-panel doors with H-L hinges; bed recess.

Listing NGR: SJ2647191863

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 26471 91863

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 04:14:05.