List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ABBEY CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST SEXBURGA

List entry Number: 1273489

Location

THE ABBEY CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST SEXBURGA, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentSwaleDistrict AuthorityMinster-on-Sea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 444803

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5282 HIGH ~REET (North Side) Minster-on-Sea, Sheerness The Abbey Church of St Mary and St Sexburga TQ 97 SE 13/168 27.6.63. A GV

A large building in flint and rubble. A nunnery was founded here. It was burned by the Danes in 855 and rebuilt by Archbishop Corbeuil between 1123 and 1136. It was dissolved in 1539. There remain the conventual and parochial churches standing side by side, the north chancel and nave having been the conventual church and the south chancel and nave the parish church, in the Early English style, with a tower at the west end of the north nave and a south porch. The north half is the oldest portion of the building, with considerable Saxon remains, but the bulk of the building dates from the C13. The tower was added in the C15 but not completed and has a modern wood belfry. The east end of the north chancel dates from 1581, when St Katherine's Chapel beyond it was demolished. The south porch dates from 1879-81, when the whole church was restored from ruins by Christian. Late C14 screen. C12 column sculpture of the Virgin and Child. Monuments of the C14 and C15.

Revision Number: 2



HIGH STREET 1. 5282 (North Side) lfinster-on-Sea, Sheerness The Abbey Church of St Mary and St Sexburga TQ 97 SE 13/168 27.6.63. GV 2. A large building in flint and rubble. A nunnery was founded here. It was burned by the Danes in 855 and rebuilt by Archbishop Corbeuil between 1123 and 1136. It was dissolved in 1539. There remain the conventual and parochial churches standing side by side, the north chancel and nave having been the conventual church and the south chancel and nave the parish church, in the Early English style, with a tower at the west end of the north nave and a south porch. The north half is the oldest portion of the building, with considerable Saxon remains, but the bulk of the building dates from the C13. The tower was added in the C15 but not completed and has a modern wood belfry. The east end of the north chancel dates from 1581, when St Katherine's Chapel beyond it was demolished. The south porch dates from 1879-81, when the whole church was restored from ruins by Christian. Late C14 screen. C12 column sculpture of the Virgin and Child. Monuments of the C14 and C15.





Listing NGR: TQ9555272937

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 95607 72985

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 01:06:56.