List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST LUKE, BROMPTON HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1272410

Location

CHAPEL OF ST LUKE, BROMPTON HOSPITAL, FULHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityKensington and ChelseaLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 425163

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added: TQ 2678 FULHAM ROAD (north-west side) 3/496 Chapel of St Luke, Brompton Hospital

II

Chapel of St Luke: 1849-50 by E. B. Lamb, altered and enlarged 1891-2 by W. White. Kentish rag with Caen stone dressings. Slate roof. Moulded plinth, and coped parapets interrupted by lozenge-shaped panels. Buttresses with set- offs and crocketed finials. Copper covered fleches, one over nave, the other over aisle, added in 1890s. Nave, north aisle, chancel, organ chamber, south transept, vestry. Gothic Revival style. West window by Lamb, of 5-lights with cusped tracery, crockets and ballflowers, flanked by buttresses. 3-bay north aisle retains Lamb's original 2-light traceried windows. Window to east, followed by canted organ chamber, by White. 5-light east window, flanked by buttresses; 2 windows on south wall of Chancel; 5-sided south transept; entrance lobby,gabled vestry block parallel to nave and two,2-light windows in south wall of nave, all by Lamb, but with windows reset by White. Interior: entrance lobby has open-timber roof supported on corbels with monograms of Lamb, Foulis, his sister, and Rose, Hon Sec to hospital. Nave has 3-bay north arcade with chamfered arches and piers with capitals and bases, with 4th similar transept bay to east. Double-moulded chancel arch. Open timber nave roof by Lamb, with hammerbeams, arched braces with traceried spandrels, diagonal ties, struts and pendants. Chancel; rebuilt by White, but incorporating Lamb's ornate 2-part-stone sedilia. Two canopied niches in angles of east wall and ornate aumbry on north side of sanctuary, all with decorated ogee-arches. Roof by White, with simple hammerbeams decorated with carved angels and heraldic shields, probably reset. Many fittings designed by Lamb survive, including: pulpit, reading desks, altar rail, altar table, Chancel screen, pews and stalls. Stone font, dated 1875, in south transept. Stained glass, designed by Lamb, illustrating healing themes from New Testament, and with heraldry. (Survey of London, XLI, 135-139).

--------------------------------- In the entry for: TQ 2678 FULHAM ROAD (north-west side) 3/496 Chapel of St Luke, Brompton Hospital

II

the building should be upgraded to Grade II* (star).

This amends the 20th amendment to the 46th list.

Listing NGR: TQ2681578490

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Survey of London - Southern Kensington: Volume 41 - Date: 1983 - Journal Title: Survey of London - Volume: 41

National Grid Reference: TQ 26815 78490

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 02:20:31.