List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ALBAN THE MARTYR

List entry Number: 1272353

Location

CHURCH OF ST ALBAN THE MARTYR, BROOKE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476759

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3181NW BROOKE STREET 798-1/102/117 (North side) 24/10/51 Church of St Alban the Martyr (Formerly Listed as: BROOKE STREET Church of St Alban)

GV II*

Church. Designed 1859, built 1861-62, architect William Butterfield. Chapel 1891 by CHM Mileham. Burnt out 1941 and restored 1959-61 by Adrian Gilbert Scott. Red and yellow stock bricks with stone dressings. Tiled roofs. 7 bays in Gothic style. EXTERIOR: very tall, wide, aisled church with short transepts abutting western tower with saddleback roof. Tower with projecting, gabled central window with a small turret over. To either side tall, narrow, Geometric traceried windows. Site restrictions forced a blank east wall. Entrance through south transept which forms a small chapel. In entry approach 'Jesus being Raised from the Dead', sculpture of 1985 by Hans Feibusch. INTERIOR: Scott's simple but dignified scheme replacing Butterfield's elaborate decoration. Tower opens into the nave by a great arch (Butterfield's). Arcade rebuilt with stone to lower levels, rendered above. Two-bay chancel with aisles of one bay and east wall covered by a mural, 'The Trinity in Glory', by Hans Feibusch, 1966. Stations of the Cross by Feibusch. Some painted decoration on ribs of ceiling. Cast-iron parclose screens to aisle chapels. West gallery with organ. Mackonochie chapel by CHM Mileham survived bombing, with stained glass 1885 and 1898 by CE Kempe; two stations of the cross 1912 by Ninian Comper. St Alban's was one of Butterfield's finest mature works, and remains a powerful composition. (Thompson P: William Butterfield: London: -1971).





Listing NGR: TQ3116881781

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Thompson, P - Title: William Butterfield Victorian Architect - Date: 1971

National Grid Reference: TQ 31168 81781

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 02:50:20.