List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1-10 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1272304

Location

NUMBERS 1-10 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-10, BEDFORD SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476686

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2981NE BEDFORD SQUARE 798-1/99/75 (East side) 24/10/51 Nos.1-10 (Consecutive) and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: BEDFORD SQUARE Nos.1-54 (Consecutive))

GV I

Terrace of 10 houses forming the east side of a square. 1775-1786. All built by W Scott, No.6 with R Grews; Nos 1, 6 & 10 known to have been designed by Thomas Leverton, the remainder either by Thomas Leverton or Robert Palmer; for the Bedford Estate. Nos 2-10 form a symmetrical terrace. Yellow stock brick with evidence on most of the houses of tuck pointing. Plain stucco band at 1st floor level. The centre house, No.6, is stuccoed. Slate mansard roofs with dormers and tall slab chimney-stacks. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attics and basements. 3 windows each except No.6 with 5 windows. Recessed, round-headed entrances with Coade stone vermiculated intermittent voussoirs and bands; mask keystones. Enriched impost bands and cornice-heads to doors. Side lights to panelled doors, some 2-leaf. Fanlights, mostly radial patterned. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes, most with glazing bars. Nos 1 & 5-9 have cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows. Cornice and parapet, Nos 2 & 10 with balustraded parapets. INTERIORS: not inspected but noted to contain original stone stairs with cast and wrought-iron balusters of various scroll designs, decoration and features; special features as mentioned: No.1: built for Sir Lionel Lyde, tobacco merchant in the City and a director of the Bank of England. Central stucco entrance surround of triumphal arch type with flanking niches containing wrought-iron crossed arrows, enriched impost bands which continue to form a cornice to the door, roundels, fluted frieze with panel and dentil cornice; double panelled doors, with patterned fanlight, approached by curved steps. Gauged, reddened brick flat arches to sashes. Dentil cornice and blocking course with central Coade stone panel of an urn and arabesque. INTERIOR: of unusual plan with hall the width of the house with stair to left. Most original features and decoration in simplified Adam style. 1st floor rear room with fine plaster ceiling with 7 painted panels of Classical scenes after Angelica Kauffmann, probably produced by the



mass-production process known as "mechanical painting" promoted by Matthew Boulton, the Birmingham metalworker; a form of colour printing finished by hand. No.2: plaster ceiling with painted panels. No.3: rear elevation with full height bow. Plaster ceiling. No.4: plan of interest; stair rises in the middle of the house between the front and rear rooms. No.5: rear elevation with full height bow. No.6: facade possibly by John Mecluer. Rusticated ground floor; 5 Ionic pilasters rise through the 1st and 2nd storeys to support a frieze, with roundels above each pilaster, and pediment with delicate swag and roundel enrichment on tympanum. At 2nd floor level a continuous enriched band running behind the pilasters. Originally one house, No.6 was divided in 1880 when the centre section was raised; restored to single occupancy 1985. INTERIOR: with good full height staircase compartment rising through the centre of the house. No.7: rear elevation with full height bow having cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows. David Hartley fire plates discovered on the 1st and 2nd floors during 1980s restoration. No.8: rear elevation with full height bow. No.9: rear elevation with full height bow. 2 plaster ceilings. No.10: with return to Montague Place. Built for Samuel Lyde, brother of Sir Lionel. Ground floor with 1 sash and 3-window bay. 2-window bay at 1st floor. INTERIOR: has staircase rising between the front and rear rooms. 2 plaster ceilings with painted panels, one the same as that in No.1. Some houses with original lead rainwater heads and pipes. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas with urn or torch-flambe finials. No.4 with wrought-iron lamp bracket and snuffer. Most houses with good wrought-iron foot scrapers. HISTORICAL NOTE: the houses in Bedford Square form an important and complete example of C18 town planning. Built as a speculation, it is not clear who designed all the houses. Leverton was a country house architect and may have been involved with only the grander houses; he lived at No.13. Palmer was the Bedford Estate surveyor and may be responsible for the vagaries of the square. The majority of the plots leased by the estate were taken by Robert Grews, a carpenter, and William Scott, a brickmaker. No.6 was finished for John Mecluer, an unknown architect, and later the home of Lord Eldon, Lord Chancellor (plaque). Nos 2, 4-6 (consec), 8 and 9 were listed on 14/05/74. (Survey of London: Vol. V, St Giles-in-the-Fields (Part II): London: -1914; Byrne A: Bedford Square, An architectural study: London: -1990).





Listing NGR: TQ2991481706

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Byrne, A, Bedford Square An Architectural Study, (1990)
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Giles in the Fields Part 2: Volume 5 , (1914)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29917 81702

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 05:33:13.