List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 24-28 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS TO FRONT AND WALLS TO REAR

List entry Number: 1271917

Location

13A, HEATH STREET
NUMBERS 24-28 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS TO FRONT AND WALLS TO REAR, 24-28, CHURCH ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476951

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW 798-1/26/235 (South side) 11/08/50 Nos.24-28 (Consecutive) and attached railings to front and walls to rear

GV II*

Includes: No.13A HEATH STREET. 6 terraced houses, No.28, now offices with basement restaurant. Probably built by 1720; refaced late C19 in Georgian style by Charles Bean King, a builder who specialised in Neo-Georgian work in Hampstead and whose office was at No.28. No.24: brown brick with red brick dressings. Slated mansard roof with segmental-arched dormers. 3 storeys, attic and basement. 3 windows. Early C19 doorcase with panelled pilaster strips and jambs, impost bands, roundels flanking arched entrance with keystone and cornice. Patterned fanlight and panelled door. Gauged red brick cambered arches to slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing; 1st floor central window with cut and rubbed brick fleur-de-lys, trade mark of CB King. Plain brick 1st floor sill band. Cornice. Lead lion mask rainwater head and pipe to right. INTERIOR: entrance hall now opened into ground floor rooms, but otherwise retaining the general pattern of two rooms per floor with rear closet set on landing as found in some neighbouring houses. Open string staircase with three twisted balusters per tread, decorated tread ends and fluted newels; ramped handrails are matched by the line of the dado in the full-height wall panelling. Flight from second to attic floor has turned, unfluted balusters. Ground floor front room with raised and fielded panelling, and bolection-moulded fireplace lined in faience tiles. Ground floor rear room in sumptuous early C19 style with curved doors in fluted doorcases, and corresponding canted bay set with fluted pilasters. Fluted decoration also to fireplace, which is lined with faience tiles. Rear closet on half landing with raised and fielded panelling. First floor front room has early C19 cornice and fireplace corresponding with the lowered windows. First floor rear room with c1820s cornice and fluted doorcases. Second floor front has two rooms, the larger retaining early C18 panelling with dado rail and early C19 fireplace and fluted cornice. The rear room at this level similarly treated. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn finials to area with cast-iron overthrow having Windsor



lantern to front. Brick walls to long garden at rear. HISTORICAL NOTE: home of the Victorian architect, GF Bodley. No.25: brown brick with red brick dressings. 4 storeys and basement. 3 windows. Architraved doorway with enriched console-brackets carrying cornice hood; radial patterned fanlight and panelled door. Gauged red brick cambered arches to slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing; 2nd floor central window extended upwards. Plain brick 1st floor sill band. Parapet. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to retain turned baluster staircase on closed string with corresponding dado. Full panelling on staircase to second floor, with recessed moulded panels and box cornices. Most rooms fully panelled, and retaining early C18 fireplaces. HISTORICAL NOTE: home of Wilkie Collins, author. No.26: brown brick with red brick dressings. Slated mansard roof with dormers. 3 storeys, attic and basement. 3 windows. Early C19 doorcase with fluted surround and cornice on paired brackets; round-arched doorway with pilaster-jambs, architraved head with keystone, radial patterned fanlight and panelled door. Gauged red brick cambered arches to slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing. Plain brick 1st floor sill band. Parapet with cornice. INTERIOR: survives particularly well, with plan of two rooms per floor and rear closet. Hallway with raised and fielded panelling, dado rail and box cornice; fluted pilaster archway gives on to broader staircase hall. Staircase with open string and twisted balusters, three per tread, and decorated tread ends. Fluted newels are matched by corresponding pilasters to dado height in the wall panelling. Full-height raised and fielded panelling to second floor, above this closed string stair with ovolo-moulded panelling and box cornices. Ground floor front room is fully panelled with dado, box cornice, shutters, and buffet arch the width of the room. Simple C18 fireplace surround lined with faience tiles. Ground floor rear room is fully panelled with dado rail and box cornice extending into closet area, and has C18 fireplace with unmoulded surround and carved dentil mantlepiece. First floor front room with full-height raised and fielded panelling, shutters, box cornice and dado, C19 fireplace surround to marble fillet. First floor rear room reached via double folding doors with H-shaped hinges, it has ovolo-moulded panelling that continues into closet, the main space with C18 fireplace and closet with one of C19. Second floor front room in two halves, both fully lined in ovolo-moulded panelling with box cornices, dado rails and shutters. The larger room has C18 fireplace lined with faience tiles. Second floor rear room fully lined with similar panelling and also with C18 fireplace and tiles.



Third floor front has two rooms, divided by horizontal boarding to dado height, and cupboards. Third floor rear room with simple square fireplace under separate shelves, horizontal boarding to dado height, and leads into closet with canted window containing heraldic glass. Some ovolo-moulded panels under cornices. Attic has single, compartmented room with C19 grate, reached via narrow stair with tiny C18 handrail. Basement staircase with turned balusters. Basement has plank doors, the front room with large kitchen fireplace under mantle shelf, and shutters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn finials to front and brick walls to long garden at rear. HISTORICAL NOTE: home of the Victorian architect George Gilbert Scott Jnr; son, (Sir) Giles born here 1880. Also of Lord Alfred Douglas from 1907. No.27: similar to No.25 but round-arched architraved doorway with enriched console-brackets carrying cornice hood, pilaster-jambs, architraved head with keystone; radial patterned fanlight and panelled door. Lead lion mask rainwater head to right. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to retain turned twisted baluster staircase on open string with decorated ends in fully panelled staircase hall. Ground floor front room fully panelled with marble fireplace and cast-iron grate, decorated overmantel, box cornices and dadoes. Fully panelled first floor front room with box cornices and dado rail, and bolection moulded fireplace. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron railings to area but left of door, rare survival of C19 wooden post and rail surround. HISTORICAL NOTE: home of George du Maurier whose son (Sir) Gerald was born here, and home of the folk song & dance expert, Cecil Sharp. No.28: yellow stock brick. Slated roof with dormers. 3 storeys, attic and basement. 3 windows wide, with left-hand entrance similar to No.27. Gauged brick cambered arches to slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing. Entablature fascia at 1st floor level where oversails adjoining No.13A Heath Street, with two windows (taller and wider) and two window return to Heath Street. Stone cornice. On left-hand angle, a late C19 elaborate lamp bracket of foliated scroll design with central floral feature, with Nico lantern. INTERIOR: late C20 door leads to panelled hallway with Corinthian pilasters and turned baluster stair with barleysugar twists. Ground floor panelled with box cornices and bolection-moulded fireplaces. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with torch flambe finials to areas.



HISTORICAL NOTE: during 1850s a Catholic school, 1860s a Home for the Rescue of Young Women, 1870s a Female Servants' Home, 1890s CB King the builder's office, home of the artist Muirhead Bone, author Compton Mackenzie and in 1908 became the office of the Women's Co-operative Guild and Margaret Llewelyn Davies.





CAMDEN

TQ2685NW HEATH STREET 798-1/26/235 No.13A 11/08/50

GV II*

See under: Nos.24-28 and attached railings to front and walls to rear CHURCH ROW.





Listing NGR: TQ2636285635

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26347 85633

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 01:51:20.