List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 18 AND 19 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS TO FRONT AND BRICK WALLS TO REAR

List entry Number: 1271912

Location

NUMBERS 18 AND 19 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS TO FRONT AND BRICK WALLS TO REAR, 18 AND 19, CHURCH ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476946

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW 798-1/26/230 (South side) 11/08/50 Nos.18 AND 19 and attached railings to front and brick walls to rear

GV II*

Pair of terraced houses. c1717-20, refaced late C19 in Georgian style. Multi-coloured stock brick with red brick dressings and band at 1st floor level. Tiled mansard roofs with dormers. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attics and basements. Late C19 architraved doorcases with plain bracketed hoods; radial patterned fanlights and panelled doors. Gauged red brick segmental arches to slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing. Single sashes on metal hinges. Brick and stone cornice to parapet. Each house with lead lion mask rainwater head and pipe. Rear elevations: No.18 three windows wide with first-floor canted bay supported on stilts, ground floor with small glazed conservatory. No.19 also three windows wide with closet projecting from rear staircase, and projecting bay to ground floor. Both houses have flush sash windows under canted gauged brick heads. INTERIORS: survive remarkably complete. No.18 has hallway fully panelled with ovolo mouldings, cornice and dado, square arch to staircase hall. Closed string stair with turned balusters from ground to attic floor; stick baluster stair leads to basement. Each principal floor has two main rooms, with staircase compartment set to rear. Ground floor front room fully panelled with ovolo mouldings, moulded dado and box cornices; simple C18 fireplace with C19 grate lined in faience tiles. Ground floor back room has corner fireplace, unmoulded panelling with cornice and dado that continues into canted bay. First floor front room is fully panelled with ovolo mouldings, shutters, dado and box cornices; the first floor rear room with C20 partition but retains full panelling with cornice and dado, and corner fireplace. Upper parts of stairway with panelling to dado level only. Second floor front room with half-height panelling, plank door, early C18 arched fireplace, cupboard and shutters. Second floor rear room has C18 arched fireplace, half-height panelling with cornice and shutters. Third (attic) floor has front rooms remodelled in 1920s by Leslie Moore, who moved here in 1923, with tiny fireplace, cupboard and Yorkshire sliding sashes. Third floor rear room has plank door, and cupboards by Moore. Basement



with kitchen and scullery, having large open fireplace, bread cupboard, corner cupboard, early C19 glass cupboard (all fitted) and plank door. Rear room with C18 corner fireplace, gypsum floor. No.19 similar. Hallway has full panelling with ovolo moulding, and gives on to staircase hall through flat pilaster arch. Closed string staircase with turned balusters from basement to attic, with full height panelling to second floor having corresponding dado panels; the dado panels alone continue to upper floors. All principal floors with two rooms per floor, with staircase compartment set at rear. Ground floor front room fully panelled with ovolo mouldings, dado and box cornice, alcove with curved shelving and cupboard. Early C19 grate. Ground floor rear room has corner fireplace. Some small panels over dadoes and a cornice that is perhaps early C19 to go with canted bay. First floor front room with full-height ovolo moulded panelling with shutters, dadoes and box cornice, early C19 fireplace with grate. First floor rear room also fully panelled with shutters, with corner fireplace and C19 tiled grate. Second floor front room with early C18 fireplace, with faience tiles and later grate; second floor rear room with corner fireplace. Third floor has Edwardian grates, casement windows behind parapet; rear room has plank door. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn and torch flambe finials. HISTORICAL NOTE: No.18 was the home of Thomas Park (1759-1838), "poetical antiquary" (Hampstead Antiquarian and Historical Society plaque). The houses of Church Row form a most important early C18 group.





Listing NGR: TQ2629385620

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26295 85620

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 05:44:11.