List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1271748

Location

9 AND 9A, SOUTHGATE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireGloucesterDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Dec-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 472464

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GLOUCESTER

SO8318NW SOUTHGATE STREET 844-1/8/252 (East side) 23/01/52 Nos.9 AND 9A (Formerly Listed as: SOUTHGATE STREET (East side) No.9)

GV I

Merchant's house, now shop (No.9) and restaurant (No.9A) above. 1664/5 with C18, C19 and C20 alterations. Built for Thomas Yate, apothecary and alderman of Gloucester. The date 1650, inscribed on a chimney piece, may be several years earlier than the construction of the house. Restored 1992 for Gloucester City Council. Timber frame and brick with timber panelled facade, tiled roof with hipped dormers. C17 timber-framed front block; rear wing to left rebuilt in brick in C19. EXTERIOR: three storeys, attic and cellar; on the front a C20 shop-front, the upper floors of three bays jettied at first and second-floor levels with moulded timber cornices planted on the bressumers, and with a moulded timber crowning cornice. On each upper floor three large C18 sashes with glazing bars (4x4 panes) in original openings; on the first floor the openings have moulded architraves flanked by carved drops, and a continuous sill board; below each window a pair of raised panels and above a shallow pediment with a carved tympanum; on the second floor carved drops placed centrally between segmental-pedimented windows with single panels below carved in an oval pattern of strapwork; on both floors pilasters at either end of the front. Two hipped roof dormers each with a pair of leadlight casements. Mid C19 2/2-pane sashes to rear wing. INTERIOR: on the ground floor no visible features of interest in shop. Entrance passage to right leads to C19 staircase. Upper floors remodelled in C19 and C20. First-floor front room has decorative plasterwork with cherubs and cartouches to ceiling; bolection-moulded panelling and frieze with lozenges and lions' masks; mid C19 moulded fire surround framed in magnificent carved surround with cherubs, cornucopia etc and segmental pediment to overmantel broken by arms of Yate crossed with Berkeley and date 1650 (see historical note below). Mid C17 dog-leg stair rises from first to third floor, with turned balusters to closed string and large turned finials to newels. Second floor panelled room, with lozenges



to frieze and bracketed cornice and very fine carved stone fire surround which has addorsed lions flanking sheep in nowy-headed tympanum, frieze with foliate and floral carving and bracketed cornice. Attic has butt purlins to central truss and timber-framed side walls. HISTORY: of principal note for the outstanding architectural quality of its carved and panelled timber facade; fine traces of colour in the grain show that this woodwork was once painted an orange russet colour. Thomas Yate was a younger son of the Yate family whose family home was at Arlingham, south of Gloucester: the date on the overmantle commemorates the date of his first marriage in 1650. Pat Hughes has suggested that the first four sons are portrayed as cherubs in the plasterwork and that the other heads show Thomas and his two wives. In the C19 the property was known as the "Old Blue Shop", when it was the property of a bluemaker named James Lee; traces of a dark grey-blue substance have been found on the facade and under the floor board. (BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean: London: 1976-: 250; Hughes P: History of 9 Southgate Street: Report for Gloucester Council: 1992-).









Listing NGR: SO8314818515

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 250
Hughes, P, 'Report for Gloucester Council' in History of 9 Southgate Street, (1992)

National Grid Reference: SO 83148 18515

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:53:23.