List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF FOXHILL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1271248

Location

FORMER STABLES AND COACH HOUSE IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF FOXHILL HOUSE, WHITEKNIGHTS PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WokinghamUnitary AuthorityEarley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Aug-2000

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 487107

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EARLEY

SU77SW WHITEKNIGHTS PARK 1921/4/10012 Whiteknights Park 04-AUG-00 Former stables and coach house immedia tely north east of Foxhill House

GV II



Stables and coach house to country house, converted into students' accommodation. 1868; by Alfred Waterhouse for his own use; extended circa 1900; converted C20. Red brick with blue brick diapering. Shaped tile roof with gabled and half-hipped ends with corbelled brick verges and eaves. Brick axial stacks with brick corbelled caps. PLAN: L-shaped on plan, built around two sides of a small courtyard with a short circa 1900 wing on the SE side and Foxhill House on the SW side. High Victorian Gothic style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical elevations. The north east front has segmental arch to carriageway at centre with canted oriel in small gable above, loading door [now window] in gable to right and half dormer on left, and with later inserted windows. The NW elevation has two gables with corbelled brick strings, the right-hand half-hipped gable is the cross-gabled end of the west wing. The SW elevation faces the courtyard and has segmental arch to carriageway at centre, lower circa 1900 wing on right and main wing on left with half-hipped projection on inner face with C20 ground floor window. SE gable end has moulded brick occulus. Sash windows without glazing bars. INTERIOR not inspected.

Listing NGR: SU7365472365

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 73654 72365

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 06:41:00.