List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT

List entry Number: 1271180

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, NORTON CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SheffieldMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 455857

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38SE NORTON CHURCH ROAD, Norton 784-1/10/859 (North West side) 01/05/52 Church of St James the Great

GV II*

Formerly known as: Church of St James the Great MATTHEWS LANE. Parish church. C11, C13, C15, south chancel chapel 1524. Choir vestry C20. Restored 1710 and C19. Squared stone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate and lead roofs. PLAN: chancel, south chapel, clergy vestry and organ chamber, nave with clerestory and aisles, south porch, choir vestry, west tower. EXTERIOR: blank sided chancel has crenellated east gable with angle buttresses and a C15 5-light lancet with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. Crenellated south chancel chapel has plinth and buttresses topped with pinnacles, 2 of them with coats of arms. To south, 3 flat-headed 3-light Perpendicular windows, and to east a 5-light pointed arch panel tracery window with hoodmould and stops. Clergy vestry and organ chamber, C19, has angle buttress and coped gables. To north a doorway and to its right, a 2-light and a 3-light pointed arch panel tracery window with label moulds. To east, a similar 5-light window matching that in the south chapel. Nave clerestory, C15, has eaves band and crenellated parapet and coped gable with cross. Rainwater heads dated 1710, with initials. On either side, 5 cusped single lancets within flat-headed surrounds. To left of the south porch, a restored flat-headed 2-light window, C15, with label mould. South aisle has plinth and crenellated parapet continued over the south porch, and 2 small gabled buttresses. Two 3-light windows with unusual panel tracery and hoodmoulds. South porch has an angle buttress and plain C13 style outer doorway with restored responds. Inside, C19 single bay rib vault and heavily restored C11 doorway with zigzag moulding. 6 reset Norman mask corbels and 6 reset headstones. Unbuttressed north aisle has coped parapet and three C19 Decorated 3-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds. C20 flat-roofed choir vestry at west end with east door and 4-light mullioned north window. West tower, C13, 3 stages, has moulded plinth, string courses, angle buttresses topped with pinnacles, crenellated parapet and gargoyles. First stage has to west a 3-light pointed arch panel tracery window with transom and hoodmould. Second stage has to south a single lancet with a clock above it. Bell stage has a C13 style 2-light pointed arch bell opening on each side, with hoodmould. INTERIOR: chancel has double chamfered arch with semi-octagonal responds and crocket capitals. To its right, a double squint. Renewed arch braced roof with traceried spandrels. North side has C19 organ chamber arch and doorway. South side has 2 bay arcade, 1524, with octagonal pier and chamfered and moulded arches. South chapel has a restored gabled roof with moulded timbers and bosses. North-west corner has a figure niche and south-east corner an ogee headed piscina. Nave has restored low pitched roof with arch braces. Triple chamfered tower arch with double chamfered responds and semicircular shafts. 5 bay north arcade, c1200, has round piers with octagonal capitals and double chamfered arches. 3 bay south arcade, C14, has octagonal piers and capitals with double chamfered arches. Figure niche in east impost. South aisle has restored C15 roof with moulded timbers and bosses. East end has a double chamfered arch. North aisle has restored lean-to roof and similar east arch to south aisle, with Perpendicular style screen. West end has a doorway and 2 reset corbels. FITTINGS include carved octagonal font, c1220, with shafts. C19 stalls, benches and octagonal wooden pulpit. Three C18 round-topped benefactions boards. 4 mid and late C19 stained glass windows plus 2 late C19 by Heaton, Butler & Bayne. MEMORIALS include alabaster chest tomb with crocketed ogee panels, figures and life-size effigies to William Blythe, c1520. 2 incised slabs to the Blythe family, C15 and C16. Marble sarcophagus with crest above supported by putti, to Sir William Bullock, 1666. Classical style tablet, 1741, scroll monument with obelisk and crest above, 1766. Tablet with portrait medallion to Sir Francis Chantrey, 1841, by James Heffernan. Tablet and memorial carillon, 1917. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 479).

Listing NGR: SK3587982166

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding - Date: 1967 - Page References: 479

National Grid Reference: SK 35879 82166

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 03:49:00.