List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1270665

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, STOCKPORT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457759

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89SE STOCKPORT ROAD, Levenshulme 698-1/9/725 (West side) 03/10/74 Church of St Andrew

II

Church. 1907-8, by R.B.Preston. Speckled whitened and red brick in header bond, with dressings of red brick and red terracotta, green slate roof. Free Perpendicular style. Aisled nave and chancel in one vessel, with small tower to north side and shallow canted apse to west end. The 8-bay south side has buttresses with swept pitched tops, that between the 5th and 6th bays much larger and breaking through the parapet; 2-centred arched windows of 3 lights in the 2nd and 4th bays and 2 lights in the others, with terracotta mullions and Perpendicular tracery including simplified mouchettes and cusps terminating in small circles like full-stops (giving a dotted texture), and hoodmoulds; and a gabled porch to the 1st bay with terracotta enrichment. The east gable (to the street), 3 bays with buttresses, has windows of 3, 5 and 3 lights with similar but more elaborate tracery, and a foundation stone dated September 1907; the apse at the west end has windows of 1, 3 and 1 lights, and a parapet. The north side has windows of 4, 3 and 3 lights; a small square tower in the centre with a 2-centred arched doorway, segmental-pointed belfry windows, embattled parapet and pyramidal roof; and a gabled porch at the west end with a doorway in its east side. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ8777393356

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 87773 93356

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 07:16:18.