List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER DITHERINGTON FLAX MILL AND ATTACHED FORMER MALTING KILN

List entry Number: 1270576

Location

FORMER DITHERINGTON FLAX MILL AND ATTACHED FORMER MALTING KILN, SPRING GARDENS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458193

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

653-1/4/748 SPRING GARDENS 09-JUN-03 DITHERINGTON (West side) FORMER DITHERINGTON FLAX MILL AND ATTA CHED FORMER MALTING KILN (Formerly listed as: DITHERINGTON SPRING GARDENS FLAX MILL)

GV I

Also Known As: PREMISESOF WILLIAM JONES AND SONS (MALTSTERS) LIMITED DITHERINGTON, DITHERINGTON



Former textile factory, designed for the production of flax yarn, and empty at time of reinspection (2001). 1796-1805, partially rebuilt in 1811 following fire damage. Converted and extended to form maltings 1897-8. Designed by Charles Bage as a flax mill, owned and operated by Marshall, Benyon and Bage. Red brick with Welsh slate roof coverings and iron farmed construction. Complex formed by sequential development of MAIN MILL, CROSS MILL AND WAREHOUSE, subsequently linked by the addition of the MALT KILN

PLAN: Accretional development, now an extended L- plan formed by Main Mill, aligned north-south, Cross Mill, extending westwards from the north end of Main Mill, Malt Kiln at the junction of the 2 ranges and the Warehouse, now attached to the north face of the Malt Kiln.

EXTERIORS: MAIN MILL of 5 storeys, 18 bays, roofed by transverse gables, and extended by additional bays to south and north, built as engine houses.Original pattern of fenestration survives as blockings in eastand west elevations, 16 windows, most blocked or reduced in size on conversion to maltings. MALT KILN added c1897-98 to the north of Main Mill. Kiln tower, square in plan, with 3 principal floors with 3 small windows, and massive pyramidal slate roof. Tall wooden hoist tower adjoins, with wrought-iron coronet on roof. CROSS MILL, rebuilt following fire, 1811. Walls of red bricks, roof slated to south pitch, corrugated asbestos to north. Rectangular plan with stair at west end. 5 storeys, with chamfered external offset at second floor level, 11-window range. Original openings to north and south blocked or reduced in size on conversion to maltings. WAREHOUSE: Brick with Welsh slate roof, iron-framed. 4 storeys, 9 bays with scattered window openings, many now blocked following conversion to maltings.

INTERIORS: MAIN MILL. Internal structure iron-framed, comprising transverse cast-iron beams carried on pairs of columns on each floor and supporting shallow brick arched ceilings. Central row of columns on ground, third and fourth floors associated with power transmission from engines housed to north and south. Staircase to south. Cast iron roof structure. CROSS MILL. Internal iron-framed structure in which cast-iron columns support shallow brick jack arches sprung between cast-iron beams. Cast-iron roof structure. WAREHOUSE: Like Main Mill, the warehouse has 3 rows of cast iron columns forming the central support to the floor system of the building, and cast iron roof structure.

HISTORY: Main Mill is the earliest iron-framed building in the world. Purpose-built as a flax mill, it is also notable as marking a transition to the factory production of flax. After its closure as a flax mill in 1886, the site was acquired by William Jones and converted into a maltings in 1897-98, closing in 1986. Cross Mill, now the eighth oldest iron framed building was originally the hackling or flax dressing block for the flax mill, and of conventional timber-floored construction until severely damaged by a fire. It was radically altered and assumed its present form as a fire-proof building following reconstruction in 1811. It formed part of the conversion to maltings in 1897-98. The Warehouse is the third oldest iron-framed, fire proof building in the world, and the second oldest component on the site.

Forms a group with the Apprentice House (q.v.) The Dye House and Stove House (q.v.), the Stables (q.v.) and the Smithy (q.v.)

The Ditherington Flax Mill complex contains the worlds earliest iron framed building, an advance in constructional technology which made possible not only the development of multi-storeyed, fire proof industrial buildings, but, more significantly, changed for ever the way buildings were designed and constructed. That this advance was expressed first in a textile factory has led to the now- iconic status of the building type as the most potent symbol of the Industrial Revolution. The closely- related subsequent additions of the Warehouse and the Cross Mill components, sequentially the third and eighth oldest iron- framed buildings endows the Ditherington Flax mill site with a unique architectural and historic significance.

Macleod M, Trinder B, Worthington M: Ditherington Flax Mill, Shrewsbury: Ironbridge: 1988-).



Listing NGR: SJ4987413830

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Macleod, M, Trinder, B, Worthington, M, Ditherington Flax Mill, (1988)

National Grid Reference: SJ 49874 13830

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:54:20.