List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD MANSION

List entry Number: 1270572

Location

ST MARY'S STREET
THE OLD MANSION, ST MARY'S STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458170

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912NW ST MARY'S STREET 653-1/11/595 (West side (off)) 10/01/53 The Old Mansion (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (North side) Nos.6, 7 AND 8 Prince Rupert Hotel)

GV II*

House, now in use as offices and stores. Early C17, faced in brick, now painted, in late C17 or early C18. Plain tiled roof. 3 storeys, 3-window range with asymmetrical projecting outer gables, and front wall stacks, slightly advanced. Central doorway with part-glazed 6-panelled door in latticed porch with hood, and 16-pane sash windows with flat-arched heads in the gables. Upper windows also 16-pane flush-framed sashes, with single ring cambered heads, and some evidence that the original windows were somewhat narrower. Attic windows are casements, the right-hand window now blocked. 2-light window in central bay, and an original 2-light window in left-hand gable extended to 3 lights early C20. INTERIOR: timber-framing with close studding and angle braces exposed in the rear wall, and some wall panelling. Early C17 staircase, with bulbous splat balusters, moulded rail and Mannerist newel posts. Said to have been built by Thomas Jones, lawyer and first mayor of Shrewsbury, 1639. (Forrest: The Old Houses of Shrewsbury).

Listing NGR: SJ4928412540

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, H E, Old Houses of Shrewsbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 49284 12540

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 03:59:55.