List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOWNTON HALL AND ATTACHED BALUSTRADE

List entry Number: 1269833

Location

DOWNTON HALL AND ATTACHED BALUSTRADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityStanton Lacy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jun-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 460376

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANTON LACY

SO57NW Downton Hall and attached 1943-1/9/88 balustrade 12/11/54 (Formerly Listed as: Downton Hall)

GV II*

House. Mid C18 with early C19 alterations. Brick with ashlar detailing; Welsh slate roofs; various C19 composite stacks with blue brick decoration. E-shaped on plan, with addition to right. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 12-window range: late C19 1/1 sashes under gauged brick flat arches with ashlar keyblocks; 3/3 sashes to second floor. Parapet with balustrade incorporating Latin motto. Five C19 fixed windows with upper sashes to ground floor; storey band. Advanced wings with late C19 6/6 sashes to ground and first floors; 3/3 sashes to second floor; shouldered moulded architraves and sills with corbels; returned storey band and parapet. Wing to right: two 6/6 sashes to ground and first floors; storey band; three 3/3 sashes to second floor. Parapet with ball finials. Left returned side: central late C19 1/1 sash in shouldered moulded architrave with corbelled sill, over C19 part-glazed double doors and plain overlight under enriched tympanum and moulded stone open pediment hood on attached columns, flanked by narrow 2/2 sashes in shouldered architraves; 2 advanced canted bays, each with 3 tiers of late C19 1/1 sashes in shouldered moulded architraves, and, to ground floor centre, under pads and moulded flat hoods; continuous storey band; returned parapet. Rear: central margin-glazed double doors and overlight in moulded architrave, flanked by coved alcoves and late C19 1/1 sashes, under portico with 2 Doric columns and pilasters; late C19 1/1 sash over. Flanking advanced bays with 6/6 and 6/9 sash to left, and 1/1 sashes to right; bellcote; service wing to left returned side; C18 and C19 lead rainwater goods throughout. INTERIOR: includes two rooms with very fine plasterwork and fireplaces, in one case the walls are decorated with rococo swags, trophies and roundels with relief portrait medallions which frame pictures. Threr is a circular entrance hall wit Ionic columns and marble fireplaces, a library with fitted bookcases, and original staircases. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached balustrade links wings and flanks steps to former central entrance.

Listing NGR: SO5280779274

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 52807 79274

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:45:52.