List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SIBDON CASTLE

List entry Number: 1269822

Location

SIBDON CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthoritySibdon Carwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 460365

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SIBDON CARWOOD

SO48SW Sibdon Castle 1943-1/5/82 12/11/54

GV II*

Country house. Early C18 front to C17 core. Coursed dressed sandstone; hipped plain tile roof with some stone tiles to rear; 2 C20 restored brick panelled ridge stacks; brick panelled stack to left side. E-shaped on plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and cellars; 7-window range. Late C19 1/1 sashes with cambered heads, in moulded cases and moulded stone architraves with keyblocks. Moulded cornice to parapet with pilastered battlements, rising at ends, with bull's-eye lights in circular architraves with keyblocks, and to centre with Diocletian window in semi-circular moulded architrave. Central entrance: steps and wing-walls to ashlar porch with moulded cornice and flat lead roof; semi-circular quoined arch with studded plank double doors; rusticated quoins; diamond-glazed side lights in moulded architraves; continuous ceiling cornice and architraves, and 2 paired 8-panel doors between panelled pilasters, flanked by similar sashes. Moulded circular openings to cellars. Left return side: rubble; 2 tiers of similar sashes in moulded cases; square panel in moulded architrave to first floor; recessed bay to left, with 2 tiers of similar sashes; segmental arches. Rear: 2 gable wings with single stone mullion and transom windows with casements in moulded ashlar cases; similar 2-light mullions to shouldered gables with ball finials; 4 6/6 sashes in moulded cases and moulded stone architraves with keyblocks. Central single-storey porch bay with steps and wing walls to 6 fielded-panel door and barred fanlight with side lights in C20 restored Venetian architrave, and panel; flanked by 6/6 sashes; quoins; castellated parapet; cross-windows in moulded cases over. Chamfered mullioned openings and 2 plank doors to cellars. Lead rainwater goods inscribed: "FBE". C19 single-storey wing to left. INTERIOR: staircase with turned and barley-twist balusters and clustered newel; panelling; decorative plasterwork; carved stone and bolection-moulded fireplaces, with overmantels; panelled doors.

Listing NGR: SO4124783208

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 41247 83208

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 12:05:56.