List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CASTLE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1269816

Location

CASTLE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWistanstow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jun-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 460401

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISTANSTOW

SO48SW CHENEY LONGVILLE 1943-1/5/133 Castle Farmhouse including attached 12/11/54 outbuildings (Formerly Listed as: CHENEY LONGVILLE Cheney Longville Castle)

GV II*

Farmhouse and attached outbuildings. C17 with earlier, possibly C14, origins. Sandstone rubble; plain tile roof; massive canted and stepped rubble buttress stack with brick chimney to west gable; stepped rubble stack with brick chimney to east gable. Courtyard plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and cellar; 3-window range: central late C18 or early C19 2-light casement with, to right, similar 3-light casement; to left, 3-light mullion and transom light with canted casement. 3 timber-framed gabled dormers with metal casements and leaded lights, under shallow jettied trusses, that to right dated 1677. Ground floor with 2 casements and to left a mullion and transom leaded light with central casement; stone sills; battered plinth. Left returned side: 2 ashlar lights to cellars. Rear: early C19 verandah on 4 stone Tuscan columns, over 2 late C19 casements in moulded wood architraves, and C20 part-glazed door and overlight. Wing to right rear: 2-light casement over cross-window with metal casement; brick end stack. Further wing with semi-dormer over ashlar segmental arch of carriageway; barred and shuttered opening over 2 possibly medieval openings with coved ashlar reveals and traces of relieving arches; ventilation holes; battered plinth; lean-to; gable of returned side has wood mullion light with stone sill. Rear of range to west: rubble buttress stack; C19 barred lights in chamfered ashlar cases. Courtyard front of rear wing has various lights and openings, with stone steps to granary; 3 medieval pointed arches and C19 arch; chamfered ashlar lights; blocked C14 mullion window with hoodmould. Lean-to with cider-mill. INTERIOR: massive chamfered ceiling beams; deep splayed openings.



Listing NGR: SO4172884776

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 41728 84776

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 12:31:02.